Strong Gas Vapor Smell rear passenger side - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
Parkerbot is on a distinguished road
Strong Gas Vapor Smell rear passenger side

I have an 04 Nissan X 6cyl N/A 2WD. I recently did the intake mod, changed plugs and fuel filter. I looked underneath the X and couldn't see a leak but could smell a strong odor of vaporized gasoline. I found a part (not sure what it was) that appeared to venting vapors next to the spare tire on the right side (photo below). My questions are...what is it...and why would it be venting gas vapors when the engine is running? BTW 3/4 of a tank atm...filled up this morning before we took a trip to the Diamond Mine State Park in AR.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
it could be plugged up . how is it when you fill it up with gas at the pump (slow to fill)

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#3 Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
So nissan says its the Water Seperator and its part of the EVAP system...can anyone tell me if the failure of this part would cause it to vent gas vapors or could it be just a symptom of another part in the EVAP system failing? The lead mechs at Nissan had left for the day otherwise I would have asked one of them. Thanks in advance guys.
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
yes buy the part install 15 mins .on a 1-10 a 2 only hand tools no special tools .

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#5 Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
I planned to...I mean its only a $14 part so cheap enough to throw money at it...reason I ask about other parts causing it, is that I'm about 1k miles from home on leave and I gotta be back the end of next week...part has to be ordered and will be in next Tues...not a whole lot of wiggle room. May just try to extend my leave just in case...
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
Got the part in...same results...fuel vapors still escapting through the water separator. Thinking the EVAP canister may be clogged or the vent control valve has had it. Looks like I'll be spending a few more days here...glad it's still under an extended warranty.
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM
fishx
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
fishx is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. Turned out the fuel tank had rusted out around the sending unit connection allowing fuel vapors to escape.

There was a TSB about this for 1st gen Xterras in the Northeast.
Not sure if you're covered under that but it might be worth taking it to the dealer and getting it checked.

I got a new fuel tank and sending unit at no cost to me due to this.

2001 Nissan Xterra V6 4X4 - SOLD
Planned but Never Executed: PML, 32s, Bumpers, Sliders, Lighting
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
The gas tank looks in good repair...and the vapors are for sure coming from the EVAP system. I could see gas vapors condensing in the opening of the water separator. Gonna drop it off at the dealer here tomorrow. Hopefully the extended warranty covers an EVAP system failure.
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
lostcanuck
Seasoned

Location: Regina Saskatchewan, Canada & Rapid City, South Dakota
02 SE/SC Xterra
lostcanuck will become famous soon enough
i've had the same smell issue this past week, what part exactly ? pic ?

~Tracy ~

Hmm,,what i really need are minions......

2002 SE Supercharged 4wd. Black
02 SE/SC Xterra
#10 Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Parkerbot
Noob

2004 Xterra
The smell is coming from the circular black part (pic above) called a water separator. It's located on the rear passenger side in between the leaf spring and spare tire...has two hoses coming out of it one on the side and on from the top attached to a 90 degree elbow. It only vents when the engine is running. Hanes Manual says fuel vapor smell can be caused by a clogged EVAP canister or Vent Control Valve (only thing I saw thats related to the EVAP system). I'll know more after the stealership takes a look at it tomorrow.

***edit***Its connected by a plastic clip to an L-Bracket attached to the rail.

Last edited by Parkerbot; 07-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.