Nissan XTerra Forum banner

4x4 transmission vs 4x2 transmisssion

13K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Crazedshifter 
#1 ·
Whats the differencce in the transmission between the two models of xterras?

#9 ·
I think people are saying you can, it just might prove to be difficult.

#10 · (Edited)
If you think about it logically, the 2wd tail shaft goes to the rear diff, and the 4wd goes to the t-case, so, they have to be different.

...so the drive shaft itself will be different in length (T-case vs out to diff), right off the bat...

The part #'s are also different for the 2wd vs the 4wd manual trannies....and they are further different code #'s if for auto trannies for the 4 cyl, and the super and non super charged 6 cyl's....and their 2wd vs 4wd configurations.

#11 · (Edited)
All RE4R01A trans cases are the same. The rear tail section unbolts from the trans and it is then the same as a 4wd case, just the output shaft is longer on the 2wd. There is no way Nissan is going to make two separate cases for a 2wd vs 4wd. They only added a tailshaft section to make up the difference for no t-case. The s/c trans are only different on the internals (valve body, and bands). After you remove the tail section on the 2wd trans, you have to remove the output shaft, then install t-case, then get 4wd rear drive shaft or have the 2wd shaft cut to fit. I never looked at the 4cyl options at all so no knowledge on that. An re4R01A trans case is the same 2wd or 4wd. The only other difference between the 2wd vs the 4wd is the valve body. The 4wd valve body holds the shift point higher by like 300rpm (ie: shifting at 3800rpm vs 3500rpm shift point on a 2wd trans).

#12 ·
The manual transmission and the automatic trannies are definitely different, I swear it.

:D

And, yup, the part of the tranny that's different is the box on the end to mate with whatever is needed.

The problem with doing a tranny swap is that there are some subtle differences that can be a PITA, like the manual tranny from my '01 had a different bell housing than the one for the '03, even though they are the same on paper, etc....so the starter doesn't line up with the flywheel, etc.

These are why its a PITA to swap them.

Its doable, but, there are things to attend to besides old one out/new one in, etc.

:wink-big:

I think in this case, the relevant part will be more along the lines of WHICH versions of what are being kept.

#14 ·
True, i am sure the manuals are different I have no knowledge on those and the info I present is for the autos, i may have missed the part where he said manual and if so excuse my ramblings.
LOL

He never said which it was for...he just said tranny, and 2wd vs 4wd.

He never actually even said WHY he wanted to know.

I know he has a 2wd....and it might be an automatic, because people WITH automatics always forget that manual trannies exist....and therefore leave off the detail of whether or not its auto or manual.

I am guessing that as no one with a 4wd ever wishes they'd gotten 2wd, but, almost everyone with a 2wd wishes they'd gotten a 4wd...that he's looking to do a swap.

#16 ·
ok so to slow the confusion yes it is an automatic and its a v6 non sc, the reason i left that out is so i got more opinions. now i am looking at doing a 4wd converion i found all the parts at a junkyard with only 60000 miles on them for under a grand and can do the work my self. hooppe this helps in the argument i started

#17 ·
nice find, was there an xterra in a junkyard you found or how did you come across the parts.

I was planning on buying a transmission transfercase and rear drive shaft. Then foregoing the ifs and going straight to SAS. That way i dont have to pay 500 dollars on a 3inch suspension lift. The SAS is adjustable from 4 to 6 in

#18 ·
ok so to slow the confusion yes it is an automatic and its a v6 non sc, the reason i left that out is so i got more opinions. now i am looking at doing a 4wd converion i found all the parts at a junkyard with only 60000 miles on them for under a grand and can do the work my self. hooppe this helps in the argument i started
LOL

Well, if you already found all the parts at the junkyard....what do you have to swap in?

The easiest way might be to simply replace the entire drivetrain.

#19 ·
well i read in another post some where that when you do the conversion you have to get a new tranny too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.