119K views 609 replies 95 participants last post by  MeToo 
#1 ·

2000 Denim Blue XE
Automatic 4WD
3.3L V6

Current Mods

Suspension/Steering
-2” Body Lift
-AC 3" Articulator Suspension Lift (Revolver Shackles, UCA’s, SAW Torsion Bars, 3 Pack Add-A-Leaf, Bilstein HD Fronts, Bilstein 5100 Rears)
-Total Chaos Idler Arm Brace
-Grassroots 4x4 Centerlink
-Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings
-AC Heavy Duty Tie Rod Adjusters
-Urethane Low Profile Bump Stops
-Rear Sway Bar Delete
-Front Sway Bar Delete
-Extended SS Brake Lines Front and Rear
-BFG MT T/A KM2 Tires 33x12.5x15
-Cragar Soft 8 Steel Wheel 15x8 4.75BS
-Copperhead Fab Rock Rings

Engine/Drivetrain
-Rugged Rocks HD Engine Mounts
-Jim Wolf Technology S1 Billet Camshafts
-Jim Wolf Technology S2 Valve Spring/Shim Set
-Ported Intake Plenum and Intake (VooDoo Fabrication & Technology)
-Ported/Polished Cylinder Heads (VooDoo Fabrication & Technology)
-3 Angle Valve Job (VooDoo Fabrication & Technology)
-K&N Drop in Filter
-Intake Resonator Delete
-AC Headers With Custom Downtubes
-Nismo Cat Back Exhaust
-Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonator
-Larger Capacity 02 SC Radiator
-3000 cfm E-Fan Conversion
-OPTIMA 8025-160 25 REDTOP Starting Battery
-Mean Green 180 Amp Alternator
-Spicer 1310 Greasable U-Joints
-ARB Locker (rear)
-Powertank ARB Distribution Manifold
-ARB Heavy Duty Air Line Kit

Armor
-Full Set of Skid Row Skid Plates
-Custom Front Tube Bumper (VooDoo Fabrication & Technology)
-Custom Rock Sliders (VooDoo Fabrication & Technology)

Lighting
-Retrofitted Bi Xenon Projector Head Lights
-LED Rock Lights
-LED Engine Bay Lights
-Mini ATM Fuse Block

On Board Air
-Dual Powertank 10LB CO2 Tanks

Audio
-Pioneer DEH-X6500BT CD Receiver
-Pioneer TS-G1644R 6-1/2" Speakers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692 6" x 9" Speakers
-Cobra 75WXST CB Radio/3' Firestick

Miscellaneous
-Painted Trim and Roof Rack
-Rear Seats Removed

Future Mods
Rear Tube Bumper
T-Case Crawler Gears
Flash the ECU

So I spend a lot of time on the road for my job with a lot of downtime in hotels. One evening I grew tired of the usual forums I frequent and went in search of some new forums to lurk around at. I ended up here and have spent 100’s of hours soaking in all the knowledge I could and coming up with a plan to resurrect my X and rectify all the maintenance I have ignored over the last 10 years and 160,000 miles.

As it was when I started.

The first priority was to get current on the maintenance I had been neglecting. I re-packed the front wheel bearings and replaced the seals. Next I changed the fluids in the front/rear diffs, transfer case, and transmission and then learned that I was a mere 55,000 miles over the timing belt change interval. So parts were ordered and I waited nervously for the timing belt to snap while waiting for a free weekend to get it done.

To say the timing belt was overdue for replacement is an understatement. With absolutely no effort you could deflect the belt about 45mm…….. sweet variable cam timing! :LOL:;) Basically the belt was stretched to the point that it was 15mm longer than the new one.

I also installed a new radiator as the old one was fairly thrashed. I ordered the larger radiator for a 02 S/C X after reading this thread and finding out it would fit. It now runs just a bit cooler but the big difference is that the temperature never changes. Left it idling for 30 minutes in 95 degree weather and the needle never moves. Big thanks to chairmnofthboard for posting the above linked thread.

With the basic maintenance issues mostly cleared up I moved on to fixing all the faded trim. If any one project lit the mod fire more than anything it was this one. I stood back and looked at my X after I was done and low and behold there was the truck I loved beginning to creep back from the land of the grocery getter.

The things you find when removing trim….

Generally not a good idea to lean the parts you have drying after sanding and washing against the wife’s Murano, especially if she catches you doing it. Bad idea.

After the painting….

Now I have to find the time to install all the stuff that keeps showing up at my house.

Also have headers and a Nismo cat back to install and shocks and suspension parts on the way.

See less See more
#2 ·
niiice! keep the club posted!

#4 ·
Man from these pictures that paint work looks real nice.
What kind of paint did you use and was it just a flat black?ui...uhm sorry, the "ui" was
typed in by my cat.
WoW your cat can type? All mine does is ignore me. :mocking:

Krylon Fusion flat black 2519 on all the plastic and Krylon indoor/outdoor flat black 51602 on the metal bumpers and roof rails.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey yeah by the way, are those bullets in that one picture and why would they be there? Is this a crime scene picture?
I use the hood of my truck as a shooting platform from time to time when out in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to shoot prone. I can not for the life of me even figure out how they got under the cowling.

FleXterra thanks, I was shocked how much of a difference painting the trim made.

#12 ·
Thanks Drake, resurrection is pretty much spot on.

yeah, i was gonna say, nice work bringing the beauty back from the brink.almost sounds like you were about to let her go before you found the club :)

nice work. keep it up, and once you start modding . . .it never ends :D
This site has definitely been a huge help in getting me motivated to straighten out my X. Don't get me wrong I love my Xterra, but with my job and other things I have going on the Xterra has suffered over the last few years.

#14 ·
I hated my Xterra before CX... Now its a love that my wife hates :D

Looks great man you really got one of the best colors.. Now if it were me... Id go to a body shop and get that grill painted to match! I think its one of those things Nissan goofed on... But that's just me! If you need some help with that BL let me know... Im in Murfreesboro,TN :D Will work for PIZZA!

#15 ·
I hated my Xterra before CX... Now its a love that my wife hates :D

Looks great man you really got one of the best colors.. Now if it were me... Id go to a body shop and get that grill painted to match! I think its one of those things Nissan goofed on... But that's just me!
LOL my wife feels the same way. I actually like the grill on your truck....but on mine I don't think it would be quite the same effect.

If you need some help with that BL let me know... Im in Murfreesboro,TN :D Will work for PIZZA!
Will do.

#16 ·
LOL my wife feels the same way. I actually like the grill on your truck....but on mine I don't think it would be quite the same effect.

Will do.
oh please NO!

#18 · (Edited)
So today I’m installing the body lift, solo……this ought to be fun. :rolleyes:

My buddy who was going to help me backed out at the last minute so I went at it alone. Stopped for the evening but managed to get it about 85% completed. Some crappy Iphone picks.

The UPS man brought stuff to install next week.

Due to an error on my part, and AC’s, my shackles did not ship. Really doesn’t matter as I have to be on the road for work the next week or so in California so I can’t install them anyway. Spoke to AC yesterday and got it worked out should have them when I return.

#21 ·
Nice work.

#22 ·
Ok so now that the BL is completed, and before I install the suspension, time to take advantage of the extra room between the chassis and body and get rid of the cracked exhaust manifolds on my X. I have to be in CA for a week or so for my job but when I get back I will get started on the exhaust system.

#24 ·
dude, your x is heading towards awesomeness. everything i see you do makes me wish i found this site before i did my mods :(

#26 ·
I use the hood of my truck as a shooting platform from time to time when out in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to shoot prone. I can not for the life of me even figure out how they got under the cowling.

FleXterra thanks, I was shocked how much of a difference painting the trim made.
that's awesome, you should try the roof by laying down a piece of plywood and shootin from there. it's cool as hell. you're gonna have to do a video of how the x sounds with the new exhaust. looks shiney!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.