How many miles can I expect to get? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
TealXer

2001 Xterra
TealXer is on a distinguished road
How many miles can I expect to get?

I have a 2001 SE with 172,000 miles. I bought it a few months ago and have no idea if it was taken care of. I want to do some mods to it but I'm wondering if it'll blow up as soon as I put a lot of money into it. I've done a complete tune up minus transmission filter/fluid but I have that planned. Right now I need the following too:
1) New fog lights (old ones rusted out completely) about $100
2) Spindle washer for automatic hub assembly $240 for the whole new assembly since I can't find a used one or buy just the washer.
3) New radio because my 6 disc changer just broke, cheaper for a whole new radio it seems. about $150
4) New tires fairly soon
5) New clunk on the front end when I make sharp turns that needs looked into

I know that's not a lot of money but I've already put a fair amount into it. So I'm wondering if I'm better to ride this one out for a while and trade it in or put money into it and hope it doesn't blow up. So how many miles can i expect to get out of this? Thanks

CX Firefighters Club
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Should be good for quite a bit more.

Sure, a rig that old (like mine...) is going to need more maintenance, but the X is a sturdy beast.

The wild card is what the previous owner(s) did to it, or didn't....maintenance-wise.

Some other stuff to look at:

The front prop shaft needs to be greased, and no one does it, so its supposed to be able to telescope, but, I'll bet it's a solid rod about now....You can grease it, and work it manually (Off the truck) in/out until it moves freely again.

The front wheel bearings need re-packing (another no one job...)

The front clunks are typically the tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar, or CV's.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#3 Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
TealXer

2001 Xterra
Thanks TJ. Looks like I'll need to schedule a front end day in the near future. I doubt anything that in-depth was done on it. Looked like a lot of the tune up parts were original. I certainly never would have done the PM things you listed. Now I'll have to find them in the DIY thread somewhere (I hope).

CX Firefighters Club
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM
granitex
Phreak

2004 Xterra
granitex has a spectacular aura about them granitex has a spectacular aura about them
If you need help locally shoot me a PM, I dont know what access you hace to tools but pretty much everything you need to do can, and has been done in my driveway.

2004 XE Shrockworks front with winch, ARB Lockers front and rear, Calmimi steering, Sliders, 3inch SL, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, bumper lights, custom roof rack, CB, Laptop mount, Sgt lobo, missing rear swaybar, Quest Alt, diff drop, Aux e-fan, Fuse block, tranny filter and cooler, axle truss and skid, Nismo cat back,Mile Marker hubs, Thorleys, 33's .
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
TealXer

2001 Xterra
Thanks Granite. I'll keep you in mind. Not sure when I'll get to a lot of this stuff but I'm not that mechanically inclined so I may take you up on that.

CX Firefighters Club
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.