2003 xterra transmission/oil pan one unit? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Juan
Noob

2003 Xterra
Juan is on a distinguished road
2003 xterra transmission/oil pan one unit?

found a leak, took it to transmission shop to replace rear main seal. for $325 he did and also "replaced" oil pan gasket. didn't solve problem. turned out to be valve cover gasket which i did in 30 minutes myself. waste of $325. now that valve cover doesn't leak, it seems transmission now is, in the area between it and oil pan. are they one unit? what gasket could it be? is it on top? calling transmission shop tomorrow for warranty work...i hope.

Last edited by Juan; 02-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
SonofASniper

2001 Xterra
SonofASniper is on a distinguished road
Is it leaking oil (black)? or transmission fluid (red)? No they are not one unit.
2001 Xterra
#3 Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Juan
Noob

2003 Xterra
Black
I got under today and yeah it looks like oil it's hard to see bt the tranny and pan but it seems to be the oil pan gasket right where it butts up against tranny
Id it supposed to be cork gasket because right now it has silicone out of the tube
the shop I took it to may have told me they replaced gasket and didn't
bastards!
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Juan
Noob

2003 Xterra
Can I replace
gasket
myself???
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
SonofASniper

2001 Xterra
Are you actually getting a drip from it? Just curious, because it could be residue from replacing the other gaskets.

My thoughts are that it is your rear main, because of where you are noticing the leak come from.

I am not sure of the exact process to replace oil pan gasket, but either way you would have to drop the transmission to replace the rear main or the oil pan gasket. I know this because I just replaced the clutch in my X and I got a real good look at both of them for a day.

I am questioning the mechanic that you used. How long did they have the car for the work they said they did?
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
the last time the engine oil was changed did they over fill it . is it high on the dip stick it only needs 3.5 qts not 5 qts like it seems some oil change places dont know what the right amount is.if it is over filled it will leak out at the rear main seal.

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#7 Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Juan
Noob

2003 Xterra
I do my own oil changes and have always used 3.5 qts. I don't see red fluid which makes me think it is indeed oil
the transmission shop I took it to is tejas transmission on Aldine mail rt in Houston I guess they had the x a few days I spoke to him earlier he told me to take it by to get it on the lift and look at it I think the oil pan gasket is leaking in the area where it
sits above the transmission well see
I'll keep I posted
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
SonofASniper

2001 Xterra
Well they had it enough time to do the job. Take it to them and see what they say.

I had a thought in regards to Deja's point though. If they changed the oil pan gasket that means they had to do an oil change. I wonder if they overfilled it? Have you checked your oil level?
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
did they change the engine oil pan or the tran oil pan?

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#10 Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Juan
Noob

2003 Xterra
I've changed
the oil since and it was oil Pan gasket
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.