How much to re-pack front wheel bearings - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Nerfball6

2002 Xterra
Nerfball6 is on a distinguished road
How much to re-pack front wheel bearings

Hi all,

I have a question ... How much do you think a reputable repair shop would charge to repack the front wheel bearings on both sides. Including a new seal?

Thanks!!
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
don't know but if you got some tools its not that bad

http://www.rkrenn.com/xterra/howto/bearing/bearing.htm
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
struggle
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
struggle is on a distinguished road
If one is going through all the labor of repacking wouldn't it be better to just replace them while in there?

If its a 4x4 then more labor right?

Just asking.
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
do it your self !

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#5 Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
granitex
Phreak

2004 Xterra
granitex has a spectacular aura about them granitex has a spectacular aura about them
There is no reason to replace the bearings as long as they are ok, just repack and call it all good. I do mine several times a year just because I tend to spend a lot of time in water over the hubs. With the right tools it takes longer to clean up after the job than it takes to do them.

2004 XE Shrockworks front with winch, ARB Lockers front and rear, Calmimi steering, Sliders, 3inch SL, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, bumper lights, custom roof rack, CB, Laptop mount, Sgt lobo, missing rear swaybar, Quest Alt, diff drop, Aux e-fan, Fuse block, tranny filter and cooler, axle truss and skid, Nismo cat back,Mile Marker hubs, Thorleys, 33's .
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 02-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Nerfball6

2002 Xterra
Some good information and advice. I appreciate that link and may try this myself next time. I don't have much for tools or a place to work on my X right now, (especially when snow is on the ground) but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

Anyway, here's why I'm asking. I took my X into a place because of a slow leak on my Pass side front tire, it turned out the wheel was very corroded inside and the seal was bad, so I had them remove all the tires and clean the wheels and re-seal them. While the tires were off they did an inspection and said the wheel bearings needed to be repacked. I decided to trust them and said go ahead since I was already in and they had the wheels off.

Well, they charged me $313.00 for the repacking and to replace the seals. Afterwards I started to wonder if I had been taken so I decided to ask here and do some research on line. I believe now I was. And it pisses me off, though it's after the fact and I can only use it as a learning experience.

I should have waited and researched first. Especially since I've found this forum and the wealth of information and help here.
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 AM
HIHOOKBRIG

2003 Xterra
HIHOOKBRIG is on a distinguished road
My dealership only charges 140.00. Some repair shops are worse then dealerships now with their prices. For those of us that don't have the facility or tools to do it ourselves, you have to shop around and compare prices for the same job. So far my dealership has been cheaper then the auto repair shop that I was using.
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM
outwiththeold
Addict

00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball6 View Post
Some good information and advice. I appreciate that link and may try this myself next time. I don't have much for tools or a place to work on my X right now, (especially when snow is on the ground) but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.

Anyway, here's why I'm asking. I took my X into a place because of a slow leak on my Pass side front tire, it turned out the wheel was very corroded inside and the seal was bad, so I had them remove all the tires and clean the wheels and re-seal them. While the tires were off they did an inspection and said the wheel bearings needed to be repacked. I decided to trust them and said go ahead since I was already in and they had the wheels off.

Well, they charged me $313.00 for the repacking and to replace the seals. Afterwards I started to wonder if I had been taken so I decided to ask here and do some research on line. I believe now I was. And it pisses me off, though it's after the fact and I can only use it as a learning experience.

I should have waited and researched first. Especially since I've found this forum and the wealth of information and help here.
Next time just, ask is anyone nearby that is willing to lend a hand,I work a lot of crazy hours,but will lend you a hand,plus have the tools to get the job done .

warn manual hubs,PML, and a ditched rear sway bar.K&N Drop w/ resonators removed.Plastics Repainted Black.
00 Xe 4x4 Xterra
#9 Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Nerfball6

2002 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththeold View Post
Next time just, ask is anyone nearby that is willing to lend a hand,I work a lot of crazy hours,but will lend you a hand,plus have the tools to get the job done .
Hey, I really appreciate that!!! One thing I've noticed about this forum is that there are a lot of good people willing to help others out. That's awesome!
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
krovikan21
Addict

04 SE N/A Xterra
krovikan21 is on a distinguished road
i am going to attempt to break my wheel packing virginity...feel bad for the x tho i have never done it in 2.5 year SORRY!!!! Well the advance auto 40% off thing right now really saved me a ton getting all the parts i need to do it!
04 SE N/A Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.