How to set the TPS....2001 3.3L? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
THECATMAC

2001 4WD Xterra
THECATMAC is on a distinguished road
How to set the TPS....2001 3.3L?

I cannot seem to find a thread on this, if the engine has to be warm or what. What is the proper procedure?

"It is what it is"!!!!!
2001 4WD Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
as far as i know it has to be set buy the factory. i got a new one and just tried to put it in the same place as the old one was. it seemed to work.
2001 SE Xterra
#3 Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
The only reason that the engine has to be warm is so that the wax pellet gets out of the way and the throttle is at it's normally warm running position.

Then you need to get a continuity tester, a feeler gauge and start holding your tongue in the right position.

Find the two prongs on the upper portion of the TPS that have continuity when the throttle is closed and the tps is twisted all the way closed. As you open the throttle, the continuity should stop. Then adjust according to this:

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#4 Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 AM
THECATMAC

2001 4WD Xterra
THECATMAC is on a distinguished road
What is the difference between Base idle speed and target idle speed?

"It is what it is"!!!!!
2001 4WD Xterra
#5 Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
Base Idle is with the computer not bumping it with the Idle Air Control Valve. Target idle is what the computer is to maintain.

Up here, at altitude, I just let the engine get warm, then unscrew the base idle adjustment screw until the engine idles higher, then screw it in a bit. This gets the base idle closer to the target idle and helps with cold starts.

Nissan Sport Magazine
02 Xterra
#6 Old 12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I0Xterra0I

2001 Xterra
I0Xterra0I is on a distinguished road
Cyclemut u should make diy for adjusting your base idle.....so are we suppose to just warm it up and then unscrew the base isle screw.....it my tps is right I don't need to mess with it,just the screw?cuz when I warm up and unscrew what I believ to be the base idle screw nothing changes rpm wise?
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold

Is that what you were looking for?

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#8 Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I0Xterra0I

2001 Xterra
I0Xterra0I is on a distinguished road
Not really....I'm more worries about where the base idle screw is located and if I need to disconnect he tps before adjusting re base idle screw....can someone give me a pic if the screw on their xterra
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Don't bump an old thread with your own problem. This is from a year ago!

Nissan Sport Magazine
02 Xterra
#10 Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
toothpick745

2001 Xterra
toothpick745 is on a distinguished road
My TPS just went, is this hard to do myself?

Black 2001 xterra w/: infinity kappa front speakers, alpine type-R rear speakers, alpine type-R 12" sub, bassworx box, alpine 500w mono amp with 2 frad cap, Rokford Fosgate 1000w 4ch amp, pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, Bilstein shocks, Volant CAI.
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.