Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Xterra Mike's Xterra

49K views 260 replies 67 participants last post by  Brian Martin 
#1 · (Edited)
For some reason i thought i had a build thread but i can't seem to find it so i guess i'll just have to start another one. And here we go:

In June of 2005 i bought myself a birthday present. My 2001 Xterra SE. The dealer transaction was a little rough around the edges but that a whole other story. Here she is when i brought her home:

a month later i wanted to test out my 4WD and see what i can do. Sorry to say i found out that my 4WD wasn't working and i got stuck:

Again another long story. After i got all my 4WD issues fixed i got tired of the small tire size and decided to step up to a bigger size:

added a bull bar with 2 100W KC's, glass lenses for my fogs, window visors, 2 Yakima bike racks and euro style head lights:

i thought i was happy with that but with my obsessiveness of the Modding i wanted to do more. The idea of more lights was awesome:

I was never real happy with the sound in my X and i had a 6 disc CD changer with steering wheel controls. Well then i found this baby and i fell in love. Pioneer D3 Nav HU:

My factory exhaust wasn't' doin it for me so i ordered a Gibson Cat Back. Perfect:

Just when i thought i was done with the mods i found this site. Boy what a mistake for my disorder. I always knew that i wanted to lift it but i thought for sure it would be expensive and didn't even consider researching for more info. Thanks to you guys i found out i could get about 1.5 inches for about 70 bucks. Shackles ordered, received and installed!:

2008 came along and i found out about ECXC. This is something that i wanted to be a part of but knew that my AT's wouldn't do it on the trail so i found a great deal on MT's and rims on Ebay. Now were talking:

Of course i had to test em:
Fail

Found out later that the mud flaps and step rails should probably go. So they did:

Then i found out about Creepy. Oh Boy:

As the Off Road Moddin bug held me tight and refused to let me go i had no choice other than to keep goin. I needed a place to hold my tools and extra parts from rolling around in the back of my X so i built one of these:

i got some seat covers but didn't like how the driver side one slid over everytime i got in it so i traded up for a Cobra CB that i knew i would get some use from. Added a 4' antenna too:

Since i was goin through some deep puddles i thought a snorkel was a good idea but didn't have the cash to buy one so with the help of Steeze's write up i made one myself:

With my trips to Rausch Creek becoming more and more frequent i knew i need some more protection under my X and so i put some plastic under there. Actually its HDPE and it works:

needed some sliders too:

Got a winch for a birthday present and installed that. Its a little different now but for some reason i can't find a current pic:

Epic shot at ECXC 09:

I have plans for a BL, and a AAL that are sittin in my garage along with 33's that i have yet to purchase. i'm sure they will be installed in the summer. Check in for more updates.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lookin' good man.

Got to get some shots of the HDPE as it looks now.

#4 ·
Wow man, looking good...

You've got me wanting to go get another one, with 4wheel drive, so I can mod it up like that...

Anyway you can get a sound clip of the gibson, I can't find one anywhere for the 3.3L... I was thinking about putting the cat back on mine, but really wanted to hear it first. is it loud inside?

#5 ·
Wow man, looking good...

You've got me wanting to go get another one, with 4wheel drive, so I can mod it up like that...

Anyway you can get a sound clip of the gibson, I can't find one anywhere for the 3.3L... I was thinking about putting the cat back on mine, but really wanted to hear it first. is it loud inside?
The gibson is great for us older guys that like some sound but get annoyed easily from a Honda civic with the coffee can for a muffler. It has nice sound but not loud enough to be annoying. As far as a clip, i have to say thats sort of impossible cause i have no motor in it right now. its being rebuilt. i'll post up as soon as its all done.

#6 · (Edited)
I C... well that's cool, I might bite the bullet and just order it when I get my tax refund in... I got the mod bug again now that the knock is fixed... plus there's an exhaust leak somewhere that's been driving me nuts for months now, that's a pretty good excuse huh..

Hey, my custom axle back that i did on my civic actually sounded decent, It didn't last long though because it droned really bad on the highway. most guys screw up and take off the resonator on them, and then they sound like garbage.

#7 ·
Mike, I'm sure you had a buld thread, as I remember reading that story before. Anyhow, I love how you wheel your X with reckless abandon! Looking forward to seeing you get it back together.

Mikeman, your exhaust leak is probably one of your headers. They tend to crack after a while.

#8 ·
Anyhow, I love how you wheel your X with reckless abandon! Looking forward to seeing you get it back together.
Thanks man. my wheelin habbits are gonna change slightly cause of my rebuild but i'll still have alittle crazy left in me.

#10 ·
mike.....I love your truck.

don't go gettin a new bumper. I personally feel that "moddin" the stock bumper is way cooler. and cheaper. and lighter.

but kudos bud. I love her.

#11 ·
hurry up and get it done so we can sink that phucker in the pineys
Trust me man i'm tryin. i want to make it to the Piney's for our annual Jersey Devil run.

mike.....I love your truck.

don't go gettin a new bumper. I personally feel that "moddin" the stock bumper is way cooler. and cheaper. and lighter.

but kudos bud. I love her.
Thanks man. i want a bumper that is different and cheap but for now i'll just keep tareing up mine till it looks like Michael Jackson's nose. i'm still waiting for that X submarine partnership for us to get rollin. Remember we were supposed to make our X's waterproof?

#12 ·
How much did that HDPE cost? I want to do that.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Mike, you've got one good looking X there buddy.

What rims are you runnin?

Where did you buy the HDPE and what tools do you need to shape it?
Thanks man. They are actually Pacer wheels but look exactly like the Cragar Soft 8's. The HDPE bends nicely but wont crack no matter how much you bend it. Just drill hole's in it and crank it down and it will shape itself to whatever you crank it to.

#17 · (Edited)
ThanX! Has it melted any?

Can I get this stuff at Lowes? Did you do a write-up on this?
dont' know if Lowes has that stuff. i found mine at a local Plastic manufacturing company. if you have a problem finding some let me know and i'll get what you want and ship it out to you. Didn't do a write up but its easy as pie. Just cut it to size and find out where you want to drill holes in your cross members and bolt em right up. i don't have mine close to any heat sources but they will melt if they get hot enough.

#20 ·
definately still into the "sub-x" mod dude!

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.