greenterra2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
greenterra2002 is on a distinguished road
Rear Window defroster.....

OK folks here's a new problem.....

The rear window defroster is not working, I push the button on the dash it lights, clicks and does not go on....

sounds to me like a relay....
where is the relay located ...?

Thanks

If it is windy, go surfing, if it is calm play Golf
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM
JMLoughrey
Seasoned

JMLoughrey is on a distinguished road
Shoot me a PM with your Email adress, i'll mail you over the section of the FSM that deals with the Rear window defogger, entirely too much info to post.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
the_bavarian

2004 Xterra
the_bavarian is on a distinguished road
Zombie thread time. Long shot I'm sure. Did you ever find the relay? I ask because right now that's my next step in the FSM procedures for determining where the fault is. I can hear the bugger clicking but sometimes it sounds like it's behind the interior fuse box, or the center console, or just over where my gas foot is...
2004 Xterra
post #4 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Eco158
Noob

2002 Xterra
Eco158 is on a distinguished road
Talking I found it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bavarian View Post
Zombie thread time. Long shot I'm sure. Did you ever find the relay? I ask because right now that's my next step in the FSM procedures for determining where the fault is. I can hear the bugger clicking but sometimes it sounds like it's behind the interior fuse box, or the center console, or just over where my gas foot is...
You are correct. If you get under the dashboard on the driverside, you will see more than one relay acctualy. The one for the rear window defroster is a blue one beding the fusebox. It slides down and you can pull it out and hangs there so that it would be easier to replace. Once replaced slide it back into place. It may be a little tight to slide but is for security. You dont want that sliding back out when your driving but it will be fine if you make sure it slide back into place. I did replaced mine but it did not help so for me I think it may be the actual button on the dash. I checked the window itself and looks fine. You may be lucky and it may acctualy be the relay. Good luck and let us know.
2002 Xterra
post #5 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Eco158
Noob

2002 Xterra
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenterra2002 View Post
OK folks here's a new problem.....

The rear window defroster is not working, I push the button on the dash it lights, clicks and does not go on....

sounds to me like a relay....
where is the relay located ...?

Thanks
If you get under the dashboard on the driverside, you will see more than one relay acctualy. The one for the rear window defroster is a blue one beding the fusebox. It slides down and you can pull it out and hangs there so that it would be easier to replace. Once replaced slide it back into place. It may be a little tight to slide but is for security. You dont want that sliding back out when your driving but it will be fine if you make sure it slide back into place. I did replaced mine but it did not help so for me I think it may be the actual button on the dash. I checked the window itself and looks fine. You may be lucky and it may acctualy be the relay. Good luck and let us know.
2002 Xterra
post #6 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
the_bavarian

2004 Xterra
Hmm, got it swapped out, decided to test the old one, no issues with continuity... guess i'll wait until the next frosty window day and try it then, any ideas where to go next? i'm assuming I'll need to start tracing that wire back to try and find a break... I hate that part
2004 Xterra
post #7 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Eco158
Noob

2002 Xterra
Unhappy

Quote:
Hmm, got it swapped out, decided to test the old one, no issues with continuity... guess i'll wait until the next frosty window day and try it then, any ideas where to go next? i'm assuming I'll need to start tracing that wire back to try and find a break... I hate that part
Yeah. Bummer. I'm guessing it could be the switch at the dashboard itself. I have not been able to find a replacement online. I will keep trying. I hate to leave it not working. Please let us know what you find. Thanks and good luck. Hope you get it fixed.
2002 Xterra
post #8 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
the_bavarian

2004 Xterra
Does your switch light up when you press it? I've got the same issue as the OP where I press the switch, the relay clicks, and the light comes on. 15 minutes later the light goes out just like it's supposed to. Kinda making me lean towards break in wiring
2004 Xterra
post #9 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Eco158
Noob

2002 Xterra
Quote:
Does your switch light up when you press it? I've got the same issue as the OP where I press the switch, the relay clicks, and the light comes on. 15 minutes later the light goes out just like it's supposed to. Kinda making me lean towards break in wiring
At first it would come on and then shut off only after a couple of minutes. Then it would come on and shut off after a few seconds. Then it stopped coming on at all. When I changed the relay, it did not come on at all. Then I pressed the button on the dash on and off constantly for a few seconds (cuz I was mad that it did not fix the problem) and all of the sudden in came on and I was like YES! But then it never came back on. So now I have a new relay installed but still no defogger working. I want to replace the switch on the dash but have not found one online yet. I may have to visit a junk yard to see if they have one. I hope it does not come to that.
2002 Xterra
post #10 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Eco158
Noob

2002 Xterra
Quote:
On a related note, the relay does not "click" either when the switch on the dashboard does not light up. When the switch on the dashboard lights up then I hear the relay "click". It "clicks when it comes on and when it comes off. But if the switch on the dashboard does not light up then there is no "clicking" of the relay. This leads me to believe that the problem may be with the switch on the dashboard. It may not be making good contact or something. This is why I want to replace it.
2002 Xterra

Tags
rear window defroster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.