Heater doesn't work right! - Nissan Xterra Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 PM
daregister
Noob
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
2005 Xterra
daregister is on a distinguished road
Heater doesn't work right!

My heater doesn't warm up correctly. I turn my car on and then turn my heater on. My heater no longer heats up when it should. I will heat up when I'm accelerating but when I'm sitting idle it goes back to just cold air coming out. What do you think it is and what do I do about it. I have a 2005 Xterra v6 4 wheel drive. Help. Thanks
daregister is offline  
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM
KJE300
Veteran
 
KJE300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA / Orlando, FL
Posts: 361
2006 OR Xterra
KJE300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daregister View Post
My heater doesn't warm up correctly. I turn my car on and then turn my heater on. My heater no longer heats up when it should. I will heat up when I'm accelerating but when I'm sitting idle it goes back to just cold air coming out. What do you think it is and what do I do about it. I have a 2005 Xterra v6 4 wheel drive. Help. Thanks
This happened to me last year. Check your fluids. Make sure the levels are full. I ended up taking it to my mechanic and he filled up the resovoir and said you're done. I just hung my head and called myself pathetic as he consoled me to my truck. Hope this helps...Kurt



Kurt

U.S. Army 7th ID - '91 - '93
U.S. Army 3rd ACR - '93 - '95


Support Our Troops...Freedom isn't Free



My Ride: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14864

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kurtemerson?ref=profile
KJE300 is offline  
2006 OR Xterra
#3 Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM
KJE300
Veteran
 
KJE300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA / Orlando, FL
Posts: 361
2006 OR Xterra
KJE300 is on a distinguished road
BTW after he did that the heater worked!!



Kurt

U.S. Army 7th ID - '91 - '93
U.S. Army 3rd ACR - '93 - '95


Support Our Troops...Freedom isn't Free



My Ride: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14864

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kurtemerson?ref=profile
KJE300 is offline  
2006 OR Xterra
#4 Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 AM
parkcity22
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
2006 Xterra
parkcity22 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. The engine warms up when it is idling but only cold air comes out until I start driving then it is good and warm. Guess I'll check my fluids too...
parkcity22 is offline  
2006 Xterra
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
daregister
Noob
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
2005 Xterra
daregister is on a distinguished road
This worked! Awesome. I'm glad I didn't go to a mechanic and feel foolish, no offense. Thanks!! My heater works!!
daregister is offline  
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah
 
soccerbrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 2004 Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 8,542
soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
First thing you should check when this happens. Glad you got it working!

On another note, this lady came into work with the complaint that when it is cold outside, and she starts the car first thing in the morning, the heater does not work. Then after the engine warms up, it works. Then if it sits for an hour after driving for an hour, it will be warm. We had to explain to the lady that the heater works off of the engine coolant temp and that is has pretty much been working like that since cars have had heaters.


Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
soccerbrace is offline  
#7 Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
meb0923
Noob
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
2010 Xterra
meb0923 is on a distinguished road
Heater doesn't work right

I bought a 2010 Xterra new in 2010 with 4 miles on it. From December 2012 thru end of January 2013 I would start it to warm it up and the heater/defroster would blow only cold air until I started to drive the vehicle. Would warm up in less than a minute once I started driving it after it had been running idle in the driveway for 30 minutes or more. Was at the shop about 3 times.....they never could figure out what was wrong with it. The fourth time I took it in they had to have a Nissan Engineer come out to look at it! Finally found out that there was air leaking into head gasket from a warped part.......Ended up replacing the engine (under warranty) and the vehicle was under 3 years old!!! Now November 2013 it has started again with the heat doing the same thing intermittently, so far.........I am not happy.....Vehicle less that 4 years old and has less that 40K miles on it.......Should not be having these issues!!
meb0923 is offline  
2010 Xterra
#8 Old 11-18-2013, 09:34 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator
 
TJTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lawrencevile, NJ
Posts: 10,203
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb0923 View Post
I bought a 2010 Xterra new in 2010 with 4 miles on it. From December 2012 thru end of January 2013 I would start it to warm it up and the heater/defroster would blow only cold air until I started to drive the vehicle. Would warm up in less than a minute once I started driving it after it had been running idle in the driveway for 30 minutes or more. Was at the shop about 3 times.....they never could figure out what was wrong with it. The fourth time I took it in they had to have a Nissan Engineer come out to look at it! Finally found out that there was air leaking into head gasket from a warped part.......Ended up replacing the engine (under warranty) and the vehicle was under 3 years old!!! Now November 2013 it has started again with the heat doing the same thing intermittently, so far.........I am not happy.....Vehicle less that 4 years old and has less that 40K miles on it.......Should not be having these issues!!
Sounds like you're cursed.



I suppose going back and having the head gasket checked makes sense.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
TJTJ is offline  
#9 Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
meb0923
Noob
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
2010 Xterra
meb0923 is on a distinguished road
Cursed would be the nice way to put it..... It has actually been back in the shop since this past Thursday and they can find nothing wrong.....I picked it up this morning and will just see what happens from here....Going into the winter months now so I'm sure with my luck it will happen again! It has happened twice this month but they were 20 degree mornings......the rest of the days it's only been in the 40's so will just have to take the wait and see approach I guess.
meb0923 is offline  
2010 Xterra
#10 Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator
 
TJTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lawrencevile, NJ
Posts: 10,203
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb0923 View Post
Cursed would be the nice way to put it..... It has actually been back in the shop since this past Thursday and they can find nothing wrong.....I picked it up this morning and will just see what happens from here....Going into the winter months now so I'm sure with my luck it will happen again! It has happened twice this month but they were 20 degree mornings......the rest of the days it's only been in the 40's so will just have to take the wait and see approach I guess.
The first time you took it in, for the first warped issue, did they find anything that time before getting an engineer in, or, did they bring in an engineer this time already?

Can I assume they would have noticed if the fluid was low?

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Last edited by TJTJ; 11-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
TJTJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off