CanX
Veteran

2001 Xterra
CanX is on a distinguished road
Auto-hubs: signs they've gone bad

That Monroe ad is very irritating.

Anyway, reference this post on my mystery noise:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12842

I think I've got a suspect: my right side auto-locking hub. So, now I want to know all about auto-hubs on Gen1s. When they go, what goes with them, how extensive can the damage be or is it just replacement of the hub? What are the signs that it's gone?

I noticed more sound coming from that side driving after shifting to 4HI from a stop. The same goes when reversing to disengage the autohubs. Instead of the usual soft metallic 'thunk' there's more of a 'ping-ping thunk' from that side.

And opinions needed: replace with another auto-hub (if indeed the case) or switch to a Warn manual locking hub. I'm a casual wheeler and this is my daily drive so I don't know what difference the Warns will make besides the inconvenience of getting out to turn the dials.

Thoughts?

Brad 2001 SE V6
PERFORMANCE: Volant CAI & PowerCore, Eco fuel-line catalyst, NGK Iridiums, Kiker wires, PCV condenser, full synth, tranny cooler, AC headers, Gibson exhaust, hi-flow cats, Z31 thermostat & IMS, Jet TBS
SUSPENSION: 265/75/R16 Goodyear Silent Armor, AC 3" suspension lift, IAB, Warn hubs, King Kong steering
ARMOUR: Shrocked, sliders, tail-light guards, braided brake lines
DOO-DADS: Scangauge II, PIAA headlights
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanX View Post
That Monroe ad is very irritating.

Anyway, reference this post on my mystery noise:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12842

I think I've got a suspect: my right side auto-locking hub. So, now I want to know all about auto-hubs on Gen1s. When they go, what goes with them, how extensive can the damage be or is it just replacement of the hub? What are the signs that it's gone?

I noticed more sound coming from that side driving after shifting to 4HI from a stop. The same goes when reversing to disengage the autohubs. Instead of the usual soft metallic 'thunk' there's more of a 'ping-ping thunk' from that side.

And opinions needed: replace with another auto-hub (if indeed the case) or switch to a Warn manual locking hub. I'm a casual wheeler and this is my daily drive so I don't know what difference the Warns will make besides the inconvenience of getting out to turn the dials.

Thoughts?
Advertisers are not supposed to use those type ads here but occasionally one will sneak in. I've already reported it so hopefully it will get removed asap.

For the 1st gen xterras, going with Warn manual hubs doesn't gain you all that much except for MAYBE durability. Unlike most vehicles with auto-locking hubs, the xterra actually disengages the axle instead of just the wheel.

Here's a kicker for you, the hub that is making all the noise is ACTUALLY your good hub. What you are hearing is the axle not completely disengaging because the bad hub won't let the other axle completely disengage. The good news is all you have to do to replace them is remove the 8 allen-head bolts, pop the bad one off and put a good one on. Simple as that.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#3 Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Bklyn.X
Brooklyn br0

2001 Xterra
Bklyn.X will become famous soon enough Bklyn.X will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanX View Post

Thoughts?
Manual hubs engage and disengage without moving the truck. If you rock crawl autos will unlock for about a foot when you back up to reset your line, manuals stay locked.
From what Iíve heard an auto hub will fail before our CV, thus saving the more expensive and labor intensive part. I have wheeled with two different guys with Warn manual hubs who donít like them because of the common bolt failure they have both experienced. They have since changed out the hardware to grade 8. The Warn manual hubs are taller therefore stick out further than the stock hubs making them more vulnerable when rock climbing when used with stock rims.

All things to consider before changing from stock auto to Warn manuals. From what youíve said about your wheeling habits Iíd stick with replacing the one bad auto hub.

I have a set of AEV manuals, OEM for a í96 Hardbody, if you can find a set of them cheap, I like them best.

"...You see those cars that are completely stock cherry, right out of a dealerís showroom in 1955, I always think, what a waste.Ē
Tom + Bklyn.X
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
CanX
Veteran

2001 Xterra
Not too bad on the wallet damage then. It'll be about $200 CDN after the exchange rate + shipping to get a new one. So, driver side noise means passenger side is the one that's pooched. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Brad 2001 SE V6
PERFORMANCE: Volant CAI & PowerCore, Eco fuel-line catalyst, NGK Iridiums, Kiker wires, PCV condenser, full synth, tranny cooler, AC headers, Gibson exhaust, hi-flow cats, Z31 thermostat & IMS, Jet TBS
SUSPENSION: 265/75/R16 Goodyear Silent Armor, AC 3" suspension lift, IAB, Warn hubs, King Kong steering
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
CanX
Veteran

2001 Xterra
Another question: time bomb until replaced or no? I've wheeled several times since what I figure was the initial incident (the same time I broke a leaf). No problems on the road, just the noise when I turn. Safe to keep wheeling with it like this or do I risk damaging the final drive?

Brad 2001 SE V6
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
CanX
Veteran

2001 Xterra
Finally got around to taking the hubs off. Suspect hub is indeed screwed: the inner ring is off kilter. The other side is fine. I'll check with wreckers to see if I can get a new one, otherwise it's a $200 part online.

4x4 still engages and disengages though and after bashing the gimpy hub a few times I hear fewer pings when I turn.

Brad 2001 SE V6
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TBass
Seasoned

2000 4x4 Xterra
TBass is on a distinguished road
I have two good auto hubs off my 2000 Xterra if you are interested.
They didn't go bad at all in fact they were only engaged maybe 6 times in the snow over the years. I was just bored and put the warn manual hubs on a few months back.

Make me an offer for both of them. You'll have a spare and replaced hub for much less than the cost of a single new hub.
2000 4x4 Xterra
#8 Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
grantypanties218
Addict

01 fronty Xterra
grantypanties218 is on a distinguished road
was the sound you heard sort of a clicking noise?

if hes not interested in those hubs i might be

grant
2001 4x4 fronty
calmini uca's, ac 3 pack aal, bilstiens all around, 3inch BL, ac idler arm brace, calmini torsion bars, 33x12.5 km2s on 15 inch steelies

"Juicy Couture Dirty English, smells like cedar and testosterone mixed with the leather made from a bull with nuts the size of softballs" ~zuiden
01 fronty Xterra
#9 Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
TBass
Seasoned

2000 4x4 Xterra
TBass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantypanties218 View Post
was the sound you heard sort of a clicking noise?

if hes not interested in those hubs i might be
How does $125 for both hubs plus $15 for shipping sound? Both hubs are complete with all 12 allen bolts included. One of the hubs has a little corrosion where the auto-hub logo was. Hubs were removed at 70k miles.
These hubs have never been off road, my xterra has never been off road.
Let me know.
2000 4x4 Xterra
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
CanX
Veteran

2001 Xterra
Still waiting on the wreckers. Dibs if grantypanties doesn't out dib me on the dibs.

One question though: I see on the Nissan Courtesy Parts site that there's a difference between the Gen1 SE and XE hubs (price and number of internal parts.) I have an SE, so would putting an XE on be compatible or is it just a difference in design from one trim to the next?

Brad 2001 SE V6
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.