Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Whisking sound on acceleration/turns

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CanX 
#1 ·
Ok this has been going on since about the time I broke my leaf spring.

I assumed it was related to the spring and would go away after my suspension lift.

Nope.

X runs fine, but if I listen closely I can hear a sort of metallic whisking sound, like two parts are barely touching at intervals, on acceleration and on turns. I see nothing in the engine compartment and the shop didn't see anything underneath during the 3" lift install.

I'm stumped on this one.

Any thoughts on what to look at?

#2 ·
I had the exact same thing happen on my X after I had the whole rear axle replaced. About the time I had a chance to get it back to the dealer, it finally started to go away. I was definitely a metallic scraping sound. Pretty loud at times.

I did notice if it had been raining the noise would go completely away. I thought maybe the backing plates on the rear brakes were rubbing the rotors but they weren't.

Of course I have a 2nd gen. I finally attributed it to the brake pads rubbing the rotors as if something wasn't put back quite right. Maybe they hadn't seated correctly at first.

Any chance the rear shoes are dragging on the drums or the front pads on the rotors. Just an idea.

Mine finally worked itself out and is completely gone.

#4 ·
Well, finished crawling around under my X and can't find anything. Nothing loose, nothing hanging, nothing in the fenders. Engine compartment looks fine.

I'm stumped.

Safety inspection coming up next month so maybe they'll catch it.

#6 ·
Details are on another thread now; it was a busted auto-hub. Locked one wheel causing the other hub to 'nip' at the other creating the sound. Warn hubs on order and should be in this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.