2002 Xterra Vibration / Shake / Shimmy at Speed - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
yeti

2005 Xterra
yeti is on a distinguished road
2002 Xterra Vibration / Shake / Shimmy at Speed

so I've been searching through this and other forums and I can't seem to get a Definitive direction on where to go tons of people have posted simular issues but nobody has ever posted the solution, so unfortunatly I need to post a question that has been asked 100 times before

here is my Situation

2002 Nissan Xterra

SC SE Autotragic 4X4

at 100 km/h (60 MPH) my truck starts to shake its consistent and does not change when increasing speed

first I thought it was my wheels so I did a quick rotate swapping front for rear
thinking if it were my rear tires/wheels me swapping them to the front of my X would cause my steering to shake this did not happen.

I've checked the rear driveshaft and there appears to be no play then again I'm not too sure.

what should I look for in Driveshaft play or Ujoints? should I look at Motor Mounts?

I also noticed when accelerating from a stop I can feel engine vibration through my transfer case shifter is this normal?
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
If there was slop in the driveshaft U-joints, you should be able to wiggle it even just slightly. The motor mounts (mainly the drivers side) are known to fail but I wouldn't think it would give you a vibration like that at speed. One way to tell is when you rev the engine, the t-case shifter should torque abruptly to the side.

Have you jacked up the front-end to see if there is any play in the wheels? Jack it up and see if you are able to wiggle the wheel from side to side, in and out, etc. It could possibly be a bad BJ but I'm not 100%.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#3 Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
saberz
Veteran

2004 Xterra
saberz is on a distinguished road
My X has started to make a vibration sound when decelerating/braking(sometimes, not all the time). I can hear it inside the cabin like a vibration sound. Still haven't been able to track this down, started doing it recently like a week ago. This is also coming from the rear like the OP.

-Anies-

2004 Nissan Xterra XE V6
+Front/Rear Bilstein Shocks
+Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
+Kumho Road Venture APT 265/70R16
+Intake Modification + OE/Filter
+Maglite Installl
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM
yeti

2005 Xterra
but if it was a bad BJ wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel?

shouldn't any side to side motion transfer through to the steering wheel?

the X tracks straight on the highway

the vibration is not coming from the rear as I originally throught this is why I'm asking the questions

its more like the entire truck shakes
2005 Xterra
#5 Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
saberz
Veteran

2004 Xterra
saberz is on a distinguished road
The truck will shake due to balancing which will come out of wack often. When is the last time you had your truck balanced? Given that you have it happen in the 60MPH range I bet you its the balancing on the tires.

My Impala maybe 2 times a year would need to get balanced because of the crappy roads in NJ and the shimmy shake would just eat away at me. Tell me this, at 60MPH, if you take your hands off the wheel(not fully off but light so you can still grab it) does the wheel shimmy/shake? If it does, take it for the balancing, its usually like 5-10 bucks a tire and takes like 10-15 minutes.

Balancing could be from tire wear, a weight on the rim falling off etc. Its a cheap fix and worth it if you haven't had it done recently.

-Anies-

2004 Nissan Xterra XE V6
+Front/Rear Bilstein Shocks
+Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
+Kumho Road Venture APT 265/70R16
+Intake Modification + OE/Filter
+Maglite Installl
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
yeti

2005 Xterra
this is my problem I've done the steering wheel test and it does not shake

the truck will drive straight at 60 MPH but it shakes pretty badly
2005 Xterra
#7 Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
rgallant

2002 Xterra
rgallant is on a distinguished road
A thought

It is weird because almost all vibration issues that are not tires will occur at any speed. But try this, if you have a tach figure out the RPM at 60. Then put your transmission in to a lower gear and see if you have the same vibration at the same RPM at lower speeds.

If you do then you have a drive line issue somewhere, if not it is somehow related to the tires and or rims.

But it could be a whacked rotor, if one of your disc brake rotors has been warped you will get a funny vibration, but you should also feel it when braking hard before the ABS kicks in.
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 AM
yeti

2005 Xterra
so I swapped out new tires today again the shake is still there
I just spent the past hour underneath the X shaking just about everything and I still can't find anything

i'm at a lost
2005 Xterra
#9 Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM
yeti

2005 Xterra
would bad struts cause excessive shaking?
2005 Xterra
#10 Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
yeti

2005 Xterra
well I broke down and dropped the Truck off at the stealership

now just waiting for a phone call
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.