Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Stereo whine, help!

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MaximusXterrious 
#1 ·
Ok, here's the deal, I've been at this for 5 straight nights but still no resolution...

Got this DVD player for Xmas and finally got around to installing it http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43737_Pyle-PLDN74BTI.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_content=pla&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CL2_6ZKGga4CFacbQgodW1Aa3g

I'm not a professional audio guy but I have installed quite a few stereo systems in my years, my own cars and friends. My issue is that I cannot get rid of this stupid alternator whine. It is not noticeable until I hit 2700RPMs and above.

I have tried 2 different harness, 4 different ground locations to bare metal, a couple Radio Shack "snap core choke" things and even re-wired all the speakers to run to the deck. I am not using the factory Fosgate amp, I unplugged it and pulled the fuse. I even tried a ground loop isolator. I'm so mad right now and I'm about to just say F this and put the factory deck back in. What is the issue here, is it that this brand deck is that bad? So, what do you guys suggest?

#4 ·
I had the same problem. Everything was fine with all grounds and wiring. Switched decks out kept same wiring and whining is there. switched the decks back and no more whining. Sometimes cheap decks are like that

#7 ·
I had the same problem. Everything was fine with all grounds and wiring. Switched decks out kept same wiring and whining is there. switched the decks back and no more whining. Sometimes cheap decks are like that
I've noticed the same.

If you want someone to take another look at it i'm up by the airport.

If you bought the plug kit we can swap it into mine and see if we still get the same noise.

#10 ·
Might want to check the battery out too while your at it. Its often a sign of a dying battery.
I got my battery and alternator check, both are showing good voltage.

Have another question, my deck only has 1 RCA designated for subs and my amp is a two channel so it has two RCA inputs. As of right now, the deck is powering the two from speakers and the 1 rear 6x9. I'm using the rear RCAs from the deck to the amp for the sub. Should I get a Y-Splitter to make the RCA into 1 and plug it into the Sub output in the deck. Hope that makes sense? Will doing this make my bass stronger?

#11 ·
I'd like to resurrect this thread

I have a stupid whine in my system as well. I went through all the wiring and all the wires running to the amp are correct and not damaged. Tell me about this noise filter and where u got it? I too have a low grade hu it's a okou I bought for $140 it's a 7 inch DVD/CD/ipod/Bluetooth knockoff ...I thought I'd give it a try since a comparable hu would be over $800! If it's the deck is there a way to find out? I'd really like to try this noise filter thing.

#12 · (Edited)
So what your saying is that your head unit has a dedicated subwoofer output on the back, but it is a single rca connector. i assume you have your amp bridged with a single sub aswell. you should get a splitter and connect it. it will cut down the gain voltage coming from the head unit, but you should still notice a substantial gain from the sub if your head unit has a subwoofer level control. if not, then it will be roughly the same only not crossed over by the head unit again this assumes you have bridged your amp to a single sub.

#13 ·
It sounds to me like something isn't properly shielded. If the new wiring going to the components is cheap wire then they'd be susceptible to picking up electro magnetic interference from other high output devices. So the permanent solution would be to make sure all of the wiring is the proper rating... but baring that I think something like this is what they were talking about as far as a noise filter goes: Electrotronics

Good luck! :biggrin:

#14 ·
my door speaker wire is 14 gauge wire and the subwoofers have 12 gauge from cadence.. I think the wire is up to par i ran the 0 gauge amp power wire down the driver side and the blue amp wire down the passenger to avoid the buzzing and still ended up with it...I think ill try this noise filter you attatched...i thought it was just wired in the hu red power wire..I take it the blue and black wire to the ground and amp turn on wire?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.