post #1 of 2 Old 11-04-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Gravity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gravity is on a distinguished road
Garage
Make LSD Useful '02 X

I have a Lokka for the front diff on the way, and thought it'd be great if I could get the rear end acting a little less like an open diff. ARB is out of the question as I'd just as soon buy a different vehicle altogether for the same amount of money. Also the front locker will likely take care of all of my locking needs. What I WOULD like to do is get my LSD working like an LSD, just because it's there being useless like a stupid useless thing with no use, you know?

Here's the info Dr. Google has given me so far:

2000-2001: Break-away torque for the X LSD was ~138-180 lb-ft
2002-2004: Break-away torque for the X LSD was ~29-43 lb-ft (could probably be overcome by turning the driveshaft with your hands)

The 1995 Pathfinder had an LSD housed in the same axle with a BAT of ~260-280 lb-ft.

All this laid out, it sounds like I have the following options, but please correct me if I am wrong:

1) I can repack my LSD clutch packs with new stock packs so I can enjoy an open differential that would have been better served using the cash spent on said clutch packs stuffed under the tires as a traction-helper on a slippery surface.

2) I can repack my LSD with the same number of clutch packs found in the 2000 and 2001 Xterras, making it a bit more useful (though some people seem to say they all sucked?). This involves buying more clutch packs and not including spacers that were found in the '02-'04 versions.

3) I can acquire the carrier from a 1995 Pathfinder with LSD and repack that to stock specs and have a useful LSD that does useful things like work like an LSD.

4) I can weld the spider gears and replace the oil with gravel.

5) I can accept my Xterra for what it is and drive it into the ocean.

The problem with the first 3 options is that I'm not really sure they're viable/workable options. Obviously 1 is a waste of time and money. 29-43 lb-ft BAT is kind of a joke and can probably be reached just by letting the truck idle in gear. So that brings me to options 2 and 3:

Is 2 as simple as buying the replacement packs for the 2000 - 2001 and installing them in place of my factory packs/spacers? Does anyone have feedback for how well the 2000-2001 LSD works and if a couple more clutch packs add too much more BAT, or don't do anything?

For 3, do I NEED the carrier as well as the clutch packs for the Pathy LSD to work? I know it had different springs as well, but I can't find anywhere how to do this, if it works with the X's LSD internals, or if it basically just results in a locked rear-end. Any input on this one?

And then an overall question: is this a useless pursuit that will end up costing me half the price of a rear-locker for minimal gain over my locked front/basically open rear? I haven't tracked down the cost of clutch packs, but I'm assuming is reasonably affordable? Your help is appreciated, folks! Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Planetcat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
Planetcat is on a distinguished road
You might want to just wait until you put the front lokka to use. I had a spartan lunchbox locker in the front of my cherokee with open rear. The front locker worked so well, I quickly forgot that i had an open rear diff.

2002 xTerra XE 4x4 Rancho RS5000 shocks, General Grabber AT2 265/70r16
2002 Xterra

Tags
differential , first gen , limited slip differential , xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.