Nissan XTerra Forum banner

BFG KM2 Review

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Drake 
#1 ·
I picked up a set of BFG KM2's for my X about 3 months ago. Size 33x12.50x15. Normally I don't bother but I have been so impressed with these tires that I felt I really had to do a review.

PRO's:

Absolutely the best on-road comfort and handling of ANY tire I have ever put on my X including all-terrains. Unbelievably smooth ride, relatively quiet, handle pretty well and have yet to experience any lift (hydroplaning) when hitting large water puddles or heavy downpours.

Offroad... wow... that about sums it up. Just wow. With two big wheeling trips on them and both being in opposite trail conditions (mostly dry and extremely wet and muddy), they have performed well beyond my expectations. In mud, they perform just as well as my Cooper STT's did. They clean out very well and they really dig in. On the rocks, you can almost feel the big lugs grabbing traction like claws. Obstacles that I've had to hit with a little speed to bump up and over, with the KM2's I am able to just give it a gentle consistent throttle and let the gearing and tires do the work. They have almost taken the fun out of some of the more challenging obstacles I used to hit and bang on and have to make multiple attempts to get through. On my last trip, I was walking through obstacles that locked rigs (one even locked front and rear) were really struggling with. I am open at both-ends.

CON's:

The one and only strike against the KM2 is they do have a weaker sidewall. Especially compared to my STT's. Only a 2-ply steel belt versus others with 3-ply or 10-ply. I've read a few reports of cut sidewalls but aside from that, as unbiased as I can possibly be, I really can't give any other bad marks against this tire (too early to tell tread life).

When the KM2's first came out, I was very unimpressed. They didn't even make my top 3 for consideration. I came across a great deal on a set at a time when I really need new tires so I jumped on it. As I look back, my first impressions of the tires came from seeing them perform on jeeps (one being a rubicon). What I didn't consider was how much lighter a jeep is than an xterra. I think the difference in weight is what benefits this tire the best. It really puts the tread to the ground and forces it to grab. The jeeps I saw seemed almost to float in mud.

If you are wanting an aggressive M/T with good road manners for your xterra (or 4runner or other similar weight SUV), I would go with the KM2's without hesitation. If you have a jeep, maybe not so much although running them at a much lower psi may offset the weight difference.

My score: 9 out of 10

Only reason they do not get a full 10 out of 10 is the weaker sidewall design. That is it. Really just a fantastic tire.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a set of 35s on my last FSJ Cherokee and can second the commendation.
The only other tires I liked as much or more than the KM2 aren't in production anymore..

(Anyone have a used set of 33s they need to dump?? :D )

#3 ·
They don't have a 3 ply sidewall? Kind of weird when the AT KOs do.

#4 ·
Only a 2-ply steel belt versus others with 3-ply or 10-ply.
You sure about that?

Regardless I love mine everything Drake said x 10. :D I tried to get stuck on a long sloppy uphill climb one night and the only thing that came of it was everyone at the top of the climb wondering how many times I could hit the rev limiter without cooking the engine. :2cool:

#5 ·
I'll add my X2.

I have a set on my '70 Bronco. I like to idle around in 2LO and when I come to an obstacle, forget I'm in 2wd, these KM2's will promptly dig themselves a hole like a ditch witch without much encouragement. I have to be mindful to pop it in 4wheel and it crawls right on like nobody's business.

I've had my Bronco up to 60-70mph to see how it feels, on these tires it feels steady and controllable, a old truck on a worn suspension I should be needing to change my shorts at 60, and would back when I had worn out INTERCO's on there, but it rides smooth and quiet on the KM2's. Any improvement to be made lies with my suspension, not the tires.

#6 ·
Totally agree. I was on a wheeling trip with alot of other trucks in the group and rolled right up and over the rocks with very less slipping than the other guys. Other trucks including a 2nd Gen with a Titan swap was having problems on the same trail with the same trail leader trying to lead him through. Tons of guys blowing out the rear windows and tail lights from sliding all over but my KM2's gripped like a spider on a wall. I will never buy another brand MT. (if i can help it) Love these tires!

#7 ·
You sure about that?

Regardless I love mine everything Drake said x 10. :D I tried to get stuck on a long sloppy uphill climb one night and the only thing that happened was everyone at the top of the climb wondering how many times I could hit the rev limiter without cooking the engine. :2cool:
They don't have a 3 ply sidewall? Kind of weird when the AT KOs do.
According to what is stamped on the actual tire (which I read on yours), it says 2-ply steel belt sidewall. On their website, they mention something about nylon reinforcement belts but I don't put much faith in that but either way, still my #1 choice from here on.

#8 ·
Did you get a lift on your x before you put the 33's on? I have a stock and i'm running all terrains. I"m planning on getting a 3' lift next year but i need new tires soon and have been looking at the BFG km2's . I have a buddy that has 35's on his fj but i know for damn sure those wont fit on my x without major alterations. SO main question is just if you got a lift before putting those bad boys on. THanks x.

#9 ·
Did you get a lift on your x before you put the 33's on? I have a stock and i'm running all terrains. I"m planning on getting a 3' lift next year but i need new tires soon and have been looking at the BFG km2's . I have a buddy that has 35's on his fj but i know for damn sure those wont fit on my x without major alterations. SO main question is just if you got a lift before putting those bad boys on. THanks x.
If you look at the bottom of his post you will see where it says Drake's build thread. Click the link and you will see all the specs for his truck.....same with mine, build thread at the bottom, and our trucks are similar. Drake's is running a PML with aftermarket upper control arms and a 2" body lift. Easiest way to fit 33" tires is going to be a PML and a 2" body lift.

Also be aware that running 33" tires is going to add stress to the steering system and you are going to want to beef up a few items. Tie rod adjusters, idler arm brace, possibly idler arm bushing, and maybe an HD center link.

#11 ·
so what did you rate your coopers at?
When I first got them, I would have given them a near 9 out of 10 but after getting the KM2's, it really showed a bigger weakness than I thought. That being traction on rocks. Aired down to around 12 psi they did pretty well but they seemed to struggle on wet/muddy rock. I thought this would just be across the board for the conditions but not so with the KM2's.

My knocks on the Coopers now would be what I've mentioned already, some instances of hydroplaning at 55mph + in heavy rains or large puddles, and extremely noisy. They balanced and rode well on road but at slow speeds you could really feel the vibration from the tread. Mud, great tire. Right on par with the KM2's. Cleaned out quick. The one place they really shine over the KM2 is the sidewall strength. I really had to air down to around 12-14 psi before they would show deflection. While I did cut a sidewall, they withstood a hell of a beating. The cut came from hitting a jagged rock just right on the sidewall at assault speed on a hill climb. And it was a mere pin puncture and not a gash. I think you were with me when it happened. It was on the steep hill climb at Wooly's coming up from the mud pit playground.

I would say 7.5 to 8 out of 10. Main strike against them compared to the KM2's would be the traction on wet rocks and the road noise. Aside from those two, a really good tire as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.