Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Difference between x, s, se

75K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  a_Cuppa_Coffee 
#1 · (Edited)
Besides Badging

is it a trim level or what is it?

#4 ·
The X model is a stripper that can be had for cheap (I've known of some of those).

The S model is kind of the standard level with all the normal features like power windows and locks, and allow wheels. Its a little more expensive than the X

The SE has the leather option, comfort features, larger allow wheels, and so on.

The Off Road adds skid plates, shocks, locker, lights (09-11), special interior fabric.

#7 ·
Now I'm confused, so the X doesn't have power windows, locks, and alloy's?
Nope, the power stuff can be added as part of a package. They come with steel wheels at this trim level. There are some other differences as well like body moldings, radios, fold flat passenger seat that change as you go up in the trims.

#8 ·
Nope, the power stuff can be added as part of a package. They come with steel wheels at this trim level. There are some other differences as well like body moldings, radios, fold flat passenger seat that change as you go up in the trims.
Looks like I don't have an X then....S it is! Dealer sold it to me as an X. I've got power everything and alloys. Weird thing is despite buying preowned, mine didn't come with the OEM nerf bars. I thought those were standard?

#21 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out which one I just bought. I purchased an '08 Xterra in Night Armor black this week. The insurance lists it as an X/S when they run the VIN. It's 4WD, has the roof rack w/locker, tow package, heavy duty running boards/nerf bars, really nice fabric on the seats. It has metal anchors in the back and the rear floor is an hard ABS material. Has a heavy duty step on the rear bumper and a built in hitch. Has electric everything and a Rockford Fosgate stereo. Has hands free (phone) on the steering wheel stereo controls. I know this is an old thread, but am hoping someone can help me out.

It's bizarre how perfect the fabric is on the seats, by the way. Looks nearly brand new inside.

#9 ·
It might still be an X. The wheels are easy enough to swap out after purchase, and most of the X's around here were optioned by the dealer with the power package. The step bars come on the S standard, but can be added to the X. In either case, they are easy to remove, and most who do any mods to their Xterras will take them off pretty quickly.

Go to another Nissan dealer and have them run the VIN. It will come back to what the truck actually is.

#10 ·
It might still be an X. The wheels are easy enough to swap out after purchase, and most of the X's around here were optioned by the dealer with the power package. The step bars come on the S standard, but can be added to the X. In either case, they are easy to remove, and most who do any mods to their Xterras will take them off pretty quickly.

Go to another Nissan dealer and have them run the VIN. It will come back to what the truck actually is.
Previous owner was an older woman, I'm not totally convinced she changed out the wheels after purchase.

#12 ·
Mine's labeled as an XE but I have roll up windows, no power locks, no power seats, no electronic gizmos, no fog lights, no intermittent wipers, no cruise, no tilt. I'm lucky I have A/C and carpet. That's about all it has.

#13 ·
Add to that on the 2002 to 2004 (technically Gen1 but sometimes referred to as 1.5) xterras, the Supercharger was supposed to be available with the SE and the SE was supposed to be automatic transmission only. There are a few rare X's with SuperChargers and I think I've heard of an SE with a manual transmission.
I guess you could get what you wanted if you ordered it.
No Whining now.

#14 ·
Just purchased a 2002 Xterra and trying to figure out what trim level I have. It is sounding more like an X the more I read but just want to verify. Manual everything except tranny (auto), no fog lights, no cruise, has skid plates and nerf bars. Has A/C, CD player and cloth seats. Thoughts?

#16 ·
Not to make you jealous but my 2000 has not one option left uninstalled. I searched all over for it and found it on a showroom floor.
Every thing in the factory manual is on my X including the A/C fan sensor assembly which is not in the manual. These parts are missing on many Xterras which caused overheating.
And never had one electrical issue except for a dead battery in 20 years.
When I store it, it remains unlocked to the alarm won't drain the battery, even has an alarm compression button under the hood if somebody tries to pop it. Same reason several of my cars even left in public are never locked.

Reactions: DW247
#18 ·
Mine is missing the sun roof from all the options. Makes no sense anyway with the roof basket.
You are sadly mistaken. The basket and roof rack are in storage. Wide open sky view is great driving in the mountains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.