2009 Xterra - Radiator replacement as a preventive measure - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
hanamarie26
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2009 Xterra - Radiator replacement as a preventive measure

Hey all!

The potential transmission/radiator issue in a 2009 Xterra I'm sure is no news to any of you. I'm hoping to get some advice to save me a little coin. I took my Xterra into a Nissan dealer to first off have the transmission checked, to see if there's been any contamination thus far. i'm lucky (for now) and everything looks clean. I asked about options to prevent this from possibly occurring down the road, should i be one of the unfortunate ones. I'm aware there's a bypass that can be done, but for the sake of this thread, i'm not interested in that option. The dealership told me that Nissan has come out with a replacement radiator once this problem came to light, that if installed prior to any contamination, is built differently (than the stock radiators in the 2005-2009 model years that caused the issue), and would prevent contamination. He said for that reason it is a lot more expensive, but it wouldn't be wise to use an aftermarket radiator because they may not prevent the contamination. Obviously the Nissan specific one he recommended is way more expensive than aftermarket. so i'm looking to shop around see if i can make this cheaper than the $1000 job the dealership is quoting me. Can anyone lead me to that specific radiator that he was talking about? no aftermarket, needs to be Nissan specific, and the revised version that would prevent contamination obviously. i just want to make sure if i'm shopping around for this that I know exactly what i'm looking for. Because obviously replacing the radiator with just any old radiator isn't going to do much good! TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
ijchan223
Noob

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In my opinion it is way easier and better to keep the old radiator and add a transmission cooler. it will take less than 20 min to do .
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 PM
WhatNext

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The dealer fed you a line of bs about after market radiators also leaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Bluedog
Seasoned

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2009 Xterra

Here is a good replacement radiator for your vehicle: http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/c...athfinder-2005.

Nissan will cover the transmission it the cooler fails up to 10 years and 100K miles. However, years 8 and 9 have a deductible of $1500.00 and then $3,000.00. The radiator above is $350.00.

Mine year 8 starts in July and by that time, I will have that radiator installed.
2009 Xterra
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 AM
WhatNext

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

There are quality after market radiators for under $150.

I did the bypass in the fall to ensure that if the leak were to happen it won't wipe out my transmission and will replace the radiator shortly myself before towing anything.

Last edited by WhatNext; 02-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM
18delta
Noob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I picked up an exact fit KOYO radiator for 120$ for my 06 Offroad for the same reason. I've only got 85k miles on mine, but I was trying to avoid the leaky cooler issue too. Only issue I've run into thus far is the radiator shipped and arrive with some minor damage to the fins. Dealer was doing the install along with a 90k premium service. They called an tried to make a big deal about the fins, said it looked like there was a black spot on the aluminum fins (where they were damaged) and it could be a hole/puncture. They told me the only way to know for sure was to put in under pressure with the system full and if it leaked I'd have to pay for labor again to replace it. Frankly, I don't trust dealers at all. But, I ran into an issue with the timing chain tensioner going bad, turned out it was a 1700+ repair. Called Nissan corporate and said they should pay for it because it was obviously a defect in the manufacturing (much like the radiator issue, the rear axle seals and so on). They told me that if I had completed all of my regular service at the dealer at routine intervals they would've been inclined to cover it. I wrote a serious of letters to various executives at the corporate office in TN and managed to get them to cut me a check for 1/2. From that point forward, I usually bite the bullet and have the dealer do anything major, particularly something that is failing or has failed because of poor QC during manufacturing. Just a thought.

Tags
contamination , radiator , radiator replacement , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.