Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Tire sizing help!?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xtacular 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, im sorry because im sure there are hundreds of other threads asking the same question, but i am so confused on tire sizing and what size will fit my X. If you know of a thread explaining it then please link it.
I have 2004 XE V6 2WD.
The current tires I am running are some Yokohamas that Firestone put on. (Not intended for offroading at all, basically im pretty sure they are the general tire they give you because they fit the X right.
Their size is 265/70/16.
So from what I understand I have 16in rims????
I am wanting a larger tire that looks aggressive that still fits.
I have heard that 32in tires fit fine with some trimming, but how do I convert 32in to that^ format of my tires now.
Also, since I will not be purchasing new rims, just tires, do i need to get tires that have 16 at the end?
One last point, I would like for the tires to protrude out a little on the sides, which I think means I need less backspacing? Does that mean its possible to make the tires stick out father while keeping the same rims or are new rims need for a different backspacing?
Thanks to everyone who helps.

See less See more
#2 ·
265/70R16
265 = tire width in mm
70 = aspect ratio in % of the tire width
16 = Wheel diameter in inch (406.4 mm)
So 265/70R16 has a total diameter of
265*0.70*2+406.4=777.4mm which is 30.6 inch
265/75/R16 would be 31.6 inch
This site has a calculator you can use: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Offset and backspace depends on the wheel, so you need new rims unless you use wheel-spacers which I've heard is not recommended.

I don't know what the measurements would be for the largest tire to fit on the stock wheel, but I'm also curious to know if you can go bigger than 265/75R16 (31.6)?

#3 ·
I decided to go with a Rancho Quick lift because my suspension is shot anyway and 285/75R16 Grabber x3s. If you're just gonna keep your suspension the way it is, you can get away with 265/70/r16 with a 1.25" to 1.5" spacer, but you will have to do a melt mod. Any wider tires than that and you'll have to start trimming. Not worth it. If you have older suspension (mine was factory) I got the full kit. Both front full assemblies and the rear shock absorbers on ebay for 550.

#4 ·
265/70R16
265 = tire width in mm
70 = aspect ratio in % of the tire width
16 = Wheel diameter in inch (406.4 mm)
So 265/70R16 has a total diameter of
265*0.70*2+406.4=777.4mm which is 30.6 inch
265/75/R16 would be 31.6 inch
This site has a calculator you can use: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Offset and backspace depends on the wheel, so you need new rims unless you use wheel-spacers which I've heard is not recommended.

I don't know what the measurements would be for the largest tire to fit on the stock wheel, but I'm also curious to know if you can go bigger than 265/75R16 (31.6)?
Quick Question Triath,
I currently have the stock nissan rims 16in.
Could i get 15in rims of any brand, as long as they have the same lug pattern?
Thank you :)

#5 ·
Yes you need tires meant for a 16" wheel if you keep your current wheels...

As far as sticking out and backspacing, yes, less backspacing on your wheels will mean they stick out more. But that will also reduce the size of tire you can run. You can run a 32" tire but only on wheels with stock backspacing (i.e. your current wheels).

I decided to go with a Rancho Quick lift because my suspension is shot anyway and 285/75R16 Grabber x3s. If you're just gonna keep your suspension the way it is, you can get away with 265/70/r16 with a 1.25" to 1.5" spacer, but you will have to do a melt mod. Any wider tires than that and you'll have to start trimming. Not worth it. If you have older suspension (mine was factory) I got the full kit. Both front full assemblies and the rear shock absorbers on ebay for 550.
First of all, 265/75/16 fit stock on stock wheels. Adding a spacer will REDUCE the size of tire you can run. They effectively reduce the backspacing, therefore reducing the size of tire you can run. Lastly, melt mod is for a second gen (2005+). Also, a suspension lift like the Rancho doesn't create room for bigger tires except at ride height (parked, driving down flat roads). Once the suspension cycles, that room disappears.

Quick Question Triath,
I currently have the stock nissan rims 16in.
Could i get 15in rims of any brand, as long as they have the same lug pattern?
Thank you :)
Yes, you can run a 15" wheel with the same lug pattern (and bore diameter) but they don't make any with as much backspacing as stock. They are all lower. Meaning you cannot run the same 32" tire stock on any aftermarket 15" wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.