Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Speaking of transmissions...

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JLBinHSV 
#1 ·
Mine has started behaving a bit squirrelly. Feels like the torque converter clutch may be slipping, or having trouble locking. Everything seems to work fine until the tyranny is in overdrive. Then, around 45mph - 50mph, sometimes I'll get a "clunk" feeling and the xterra will jerk, or the rpm's will suddenly jump from 2k up to 2.5k and then return to 2k. As soon as I noticed it happening I did a drain and fill. Fluid was a little dark, but nothing too bad. I didn't notice any grit or foreign matter in the old fluid. (I've had for 15k miles, not sure of tranny fluid change history.) Didn't make it worse, but didn't make it go away either. After a couple of hundred miles, did a second drain and fill, which if my math is correct, equals about 75% new fluid. The problem persists. It doesn't happen every time, but happens frequently enough to make me fear something expensive is about to fail. Any thoughts? What does a torque converter replacement cost?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.