Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Best First Xterra upgrades?

55K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Jaedus 
#1 · (Edited)
What are the best first upgrades to do to a stock 1st gen Xterra on a limited budget?

#8 ·
Question. I also changed all my dome light but now when the car in on they stay on very dimly but turn off when the car I off. Have any idea why?
Mine do the same thing. I am not 100% sure but th believe when they are set to come on with the doors they become ground side switched so there is always a little current running to them. You just don't notice it with regular bulbs because it is such a small amount that it can't get the filiment to glow.

GhettoMedic,
sent from my HTC EVO.

#9 · (Edited)
Get rid of the mud flaps, step sides and resonators. All free up grades! And if you put in a Fram Air Hog drop in filter that will cost you around 10 bucks and is just as good as a K&N.
Then I would look into doing the PML. Just the cost of the shackles and an alignment and you will be good to go:)

Edit--> Oh yeah and remove the rear sway bar. You DONT need it and it will damage your shock. (thats also a freebee:) )

#10 ·
If the budget is a problem, yup, do all the free mods.

Remove rear sway bar

Remove lower mud flaps

Remove steps

Remove vestigial wee plastic hub caps

Remove air intake baffles.

I'd NOT ADD a Air Hog, because its just as good as a K&N, and the K&N are terrible FILTERS (They let in more air by filtering out fewer particles of concern)....and, the performance gain is about zero anyway.

Removing the intake baffles frees up the intake more all by itself....for free.

After the above, its all down to what the budget IS.

If its zero, you're about done.

If its a few bucks here and there, well, its a question of PRIORITIZING.

IE: You can't do EVERYTHING, so, you put the things you'd like to be different in order of how BADLY you want them to be different, and, do the one(s) you want the MOST FIRST.

:D

#11 ·
Ok TJTJ. The filter cost me 9 bucks. Is it really that bad? Just wondering because I could have bought a 12 pack of beer or a steak or something else for my kids. Crap, sorry Jack5885, but that's what I have.

#14 ·
Is it better to have the steps on or off if I'm not planning on putting sliders on it for quite awhile?
IF you are going off road, take off the steps...they get broken off road too easily...they are steps, not weak sliders.

If you sell them while they're still pretty, you get money to use TOWARDS sliders (Or beer, whatever...).

If you off road with them, and they get broken/messed up...no one will buy them....they buy them when they mess THEIRS up, and want new pretty ones.

As for the K&N style filters...they are bad for your engine, so, yeah, beer is a better investment, it won't hurt your engine (Well, when used as intended, etc...)

#16 ·
Most of its near future will be on pavement and dirt/service roads. So there is little chance of anything ever hitting it hard.
Well, hitting at ALL breaks the steps...they can't take ANY upwards force...

...but if you're not off roading, sure, leave'm, and you don't need sliders either, or any other off road mods...as the truck can do all that bone stock.

#18 ·
Remove rear sway bar

Remove lower mud flaps

Remove steps

Remove vestigial wee plastic hub caps

Remove air intake baffles.
These since they are practically free.

Tires are the best thing you can do to make your vehicle more capable (stock Xterras are surprisingly awesome off road)

#19 ·
Tires are the best thing you can do to make your vehicle more capable (stock Xterras are surprisingly awesome off road)
I'm probably gonna get new tires next year.
Consumer Reports likes the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. Has anybody used them before? I am looking for an AT tire that has good tread life, good snow traction, and is good on pavement (where i'll be spending most of my time).

#21 ·
I'm probably gonna get new tires next year.
Consumer Reports likes the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. Has anybody used them before? I am looking for an AT tire that has good tread life, good snow traction, and is good on pavement (where i'll be spending most of my time).
Duratracs and BFG ATs seem to be most people's favorite. Duratracs seem to be better in the snow,but BFGs are going to last a while. You really can't go wrong with either of those.

#22 ·
Only 1 other thing to throw in the mix, if you do decide on upgrades down the trail, besides prioritizing them as far as wants, prioritize them as far as buiding blocks as well. Meaning, think about a BL/PML (Body Lift/Poor Man's Lift) before bumpers/sliders or 33's.

#23 ·
When considering tires remember that AT tires do well in the dry terrain but essentially become racing slicks in the mud. MT class tires handle the 4 foot mud holes much better.

AT tires are well mannered on the highway whereas MT tires give a distinctive howl that can be quite loud.

HT tires are for noobs. I say that but I saw a friggin 2WD Xterra with run of the mill mini-van tires mount some pretty serious terrain at the NXM event this year.

#24 ·
As others have said there are a few free delete mods you can do first: mudflaps, rear sway bar, step rails, intake baffle and resonators, etc etc.

Not sure what exactly a 'limited budget' means but a full set of Bilstein HDs will set you back about $250-300 and will do wonders for your on- and off-road ride quality. My 03's stock shocks were just terrible and when I installed the Bilsteins it felt like a new vehicle.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok so I took out my rear sway bar last night and then this morning when I took it to the store, whenever I went around a corner it creaked and moaned. The sound was coming from the front of the car though. Is this a coincidence or are they related?

My engine was also idling strangely and had some VERY faint ticking sound both at idle and a little louder when moving. <-- Is that the timing belt needing replacement? Im at 94k miles in an 02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.