Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Compression testing VG33E

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  spddm0n 
#1 ·
Hi -

Anyone compression test their engine? Is there a way to get to the driver side cylinders more easily? I have a typical compression checker with a 15" hose, and it difficult to navigate the hose into the driver side cylinders. I am looking at trying to connect two hoses together or even find a solid tube that I can screw down into the cylinder and attach a hose to that (to avoid the natural bend in the hose) to address the difficulty getting a hose in the two cylinders closest to the rear firewall on the driver side.

Anyone else put together any kind of assembly to make this process easier? I just want to test the engine to get a basic idea where it is after 165K miles. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Problem solved. I went out and purchased a Craftsman compression checker. $65 at Sears.com. It is REALLY nice in comparison to the generic (Innova) model I bought 15 years ago (which also still works fine).

The new craftsman has a storage box that keeps the hoses straight; they are much easier to twist in to the back cylinders that you can't see under the intake plenum. :) This made the test MUCH easier!! :)

Total overall hose length wasn't that much longer even. :)

(Sorry, images were auto-rotated in the upload process)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.