Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Moving slow and Foul smell

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ltarry 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Xterra Off Road (manual transmission) with 110,000 miles. I have never had any major work performed. (YET....)

However today, it was having issues move forward/backward. I can get it into gears and the clutch seems be engaged. Also I smell a foul odor...not a burning smell but like a rotten egg.

What could be the possible root cause(s)? And how much of a repair bill am I looking at?

Thanks in advance for our expertise (and pulling me off the ledge...lol).

#6 ·
rotten egg smell is usually a fouled cat converter. try putting your hand over the tailpipe firmly while its idling if it doesnt try to push your hand off or doesnt have much pressure on it thats a sign of a bad or failing cat. converter does it have a check engine light on? if so get us the code(s)

#8 ·
hm, check your oil and your coolant also your gear oil and make sure theyre in good shape and full wouldnt hurt to check your clutch fluid either. rotten egg means sulfur somewhere it shouldnt be. look under your car for holes in the exhaust and/or cat converters. as chef said earlier though you may have a toasted clutch. have you done any heavy towing or hard take offs or popped the clutch alot recently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.