Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine noise

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NEXTinthesky 
#1 ·
Hi All,

i have Xterra 2004 4x4 stock, today it start doing a weird noise in the engine, i mostly hear that on front of it.
i have a video of it, can you please take a look and give some advice of what could be the issue

https://youtu.be/XwVaL41gsdc

#3 ·
i notice a leak of antifreeze on a hose connected to the thermostat, the one that is connected to the engine not the radiator.
im guessing if some water did enter to the timing belt compartment causing the noise, the pipe is really close to the top part of it.

i will take a look at both things you did recommend.

Thanks..

#4 ·
It does sound like a greasy belt or accessory belt pulleys. Thankfully those parts just need new bearings or you can get aftermarket ones fairly cheap and easy to install if you're not familiar with doing it. If you have coolant leak coming from the small elbow hose that connects the engine body to the thermostat, that leak will for sure find its way down into the timing belt compartment and start to eat away at that timing belt and the tensioner. The BEST way to change the elbow hose, of course, is when you have the back timing belt plate off. Although I was able to do it with just the front plate off using long curved pliers to get the clamps off, it was still a pain. Before I changed my timing belt, the tensioner pulley rattled really badly but now it sounds great. I think for the most part, your engine sounds pretty normal. :nerd:

#5 ·
Now the leak is fixed with a new pipe and one of the bearing was damage so it got replaced. now the noise is less than it was so the bearing change did work but it is still not as before.
The mechanic told me that the sound is coming from water pump, i will upload another video over the weekend just for comparison purposes.

One thing i notice is that now the noise decrease when the car is at working temperature and more notorious on cold start.

The timing belt and water pump were change 3 years ago, i found some videos on how to DIY and seems not that complex but laborious.

#6 ·
Funny you say that because my timing belt tensioner and water pump made noises when being started up from cold. It literally rattled and whined a bit but once at temp, the noises smoothed out. IMO you might have accelerated "wear and tear" from that leak that you described earlier, as it may have leaked onto the belt and tensioner. I dont see why a new water pump would whine and need replacing unless the gasket wasn't seated properly causing leaks and bad alignment. The pump is powered by the fan belt so take that belt off first and see if the noise goes away but don't do it while engine is hot and don't let he engine to get hot with the pump and fan not spinning but it's ok to do it for a few minutes. I did my timing belt and water pump last year, it was very labor intensive but pretty straight forward if you go by the correct procedures. Not getting that tensioner pulley just right and those torque specs dead on will force you to tear it all back down again and start over. I learned that lesson the hard way!!

Now the leak is fixed with a new pipe and one of the bearing was damage so it got replaced. now the noise is less than it was so the bearing change did work but it is still not as before.
The mechanic told me that the sound is coming from water pump, i will upload another video over the weekend just for comparison purposes.

One thing i notice is that now the noise decrease when the car is at working temperature and more notorious on cold start.

The timing belt and water pump were change 3 years ago, i found some videos on how to DIY and seems not that complex but laborious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.