Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Rooftop gear box

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Aztitan 
#1 ·
I need to take the rooftop gear box off of my Xterra to clean underneath it. I have tried to remove the 4 torx screws but they have thin threaded disk (not nuts) holding them that spin with the torx screws. What am I missing here? How do I get these screws out?

#3 ·
I appreciate your reply. I'm not sure I understand what a crush nut is. Is the threaded part sticking out underneath the part that the gear box is attached to not the end of the torx screw? If I turn the torx screw, how would the threaded part not spin? I have a feeling that I'm making this more difficult than it should be.

#5 ·
Ok anytime you need something to screw into sone tubing, you drill a hole and then you drop in a crush nut. Then when you tighten it up it "crushes" to fill up the hole by adding extra threads to an area where there isnt much material. Theproblem is if the screwgets rusty then when you try to loosen it the whole thing spins and the cruch nut looses its grip.

Think of a crush nut like a threaded insert that expands to fit a hole.

You can try some pb blaster on the bolt, and work it back and forth by hand. When it feels like its uncrewing put a flat head screwdriver between the backetand roof rack and apply some pressure, the tension may be enough to hold the crush washer in place while you unscrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.