Nissan XTerra Forum banner

What to Look For When Buying a GEN1 Xterra

34K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  fartoolong 
#1 ·
This is intended as a guideline for perspective/new GEN 1 owners. If you have an item to add feel free to post up and I will add it to the OP. :)

The following items are common issues that can be found on GEN 1 Xterra's. I will try to add pics and a link to the DIY (Do It Yourself) threads for each item.

If you're a new owner it should help you out in fixing and staying ahead of certain issues. If you're a perspective owner it will help you in what to look for as far as problems and possibly help you to bring the owner down in price before buying. ;)

All the DIY threads can be found here.

All of the Factory Nissan Service Manuals can be found here.

Timing Belt. Ask exactly when, and if, the timing belt was changed as they need to be changed every 105,000 miles. The 3.3L V6 engines (VG33E and VG33ER) are interference engines and if the belt slips or breaks it can cause valve/piston damage.

The only indicator you may find for a changed timing belt is going to be a sticker applied to the top of the radiator core support indicating the belt has been changed. Past that you have to trust the owner and his records.

You can do the timing belt your self and will require right around $325 in factory Nissan parts, hand tools, and depending on your skills 6 to 12 hours of your time.

Timing Belt DIY

Torn down, new belt and water pump installed.

Valve covers leaking oil. Most leaks can be slowed or stopped by simply tightening the screws a bit but eventually the gaskets shrink enough to need to be replaced.

Take a flashlight and look at the starter if you see a leak on the passenger side valve cover and check to see if the starter is covered in oil. Oil immersion/intrusion causes the starter to fail prematurely.

You can do the valve cover gaskets your self and will require right around $34 in factory Nissan parts, hand tools, and depending on your skills 1 to 3 hours of your time.

Valve Cover Gasket DIY

Drivers side on mine you can see where oil had been leaking onto the head.

Passenger side note the sludge covering the screws and edge of the rocker cover indicating a leak.

Cracked exhaust manifolds. Nearly all GEN 1 trucks will have this issue at some point. Hard to see the cracks with the heat shields in place but listen to the engine run with the hood open and listen for ticking ex leak noises. Passenger side tends to fail before the drivers. This can be a time consuming difficult job do to lack of clearance between the frame and manifolds. Trucks with a 2" body lift installed are much easier to perform this job on, so much so if a BL is in your future perform it before the manifolds.

You can replace the cracked manifolds your self and will require just shy of $400 in factory Nissan parts, hand tools, and depending on your skills, and whether or not your truck has a body lift, 2 to 6 hours of your time. Aftermarket parts will be much cheaper here.

Manifold DIY

Passenger side note the crack above the O2 sensor. Note the soot from leaking ex gases above the crack another indicator for a bad manifold.

Drivers side thin white line near the bottom running the length of the manifold is a crack. Note the black exhaust soot on the manifold cuased by ex gas leaking from the crack.

Leaking power steering lines. Happens to all of them at some point but it is just the lines for the reservoir usually, not the pressure lines, so easy to fix with bulk hose from auto supply store.

You can replace the leaking lines your self and will require just shy of $20 in hose from your local auto parts store, PS fluid, hand tools, and .5 to 1.5 hours of your time.

There is no DIY at this time.

Passenger side from the top, look for fluid below the PS reservoir on the passenger side inner fender and passenger side suspension.

Passenger side from underneath looking for the gooey mess seen here

Passenger side wheel well skirt will sometimes show the leak as well

Rear main seal leaks. Not much of an issue but oil will collect on the bell housing more of an annoyance than anything. Many times the rear main seal is not even the culprit but rather the leaking valve cover and the oil running down to the bell housing.

Fairly expensive to repair as the transfer case and transmission must be pulled to access the seal to replace it.

Seen here on the bell housing. A lot of times it's not even the rear main seal just the valve covers leaking down ending up here.

Leaking power steering gear. Known issue with some trucks and not cheap to fix unless you rebuild the gear yourself. Look for oil on the bottom of the steering gear itself but ensure that is where it is coming from. The A/C high pressure lines can sometimes leak and are located right above the steering gear. A/C compressor oil is green in color but once on the steering gear may appear black so trace the leak.

You can rebuild the unit yourself and will require just over $20 for the P/S Gear Box Major Seal Kit from your local NAPA parts store, PS fluid, hand tools, and 3.0 to 6.0 hours of your time.

Steering Gear Re-seal DIY.
Steering Gear Re-Build DIY.

Example of an obvious leak

Example of the more common "may do this for a couple years before becoming an issue" leak. Notice the very lite sheen of oil on the shaft and nut.

Rusted oil pan.
This is mostly an issue in states where they use road salt. The pans will actually rust through and leak oil. You will be looking for bubbled/flaking paint, rust, and obviously oil.

You can replace the pan yourself but be aware on the 4x4 model you will be dropping the front differential and a cross member in order to get the old pan out and the new one in. From Nissan the pan will run right at $240. No estimate for time to repair but a good guess would be 8+ hours.

Pic showing a rusted through leaking pan

Leaking High Pressure A/C Line.
A leaking high pressure line will cause the A/C system to be either weak or non-functioning as it is leaking freon out of the system and allowing moisture in. Becoming a more common issue as these trucks age and fairly easy to spot. Locate the High Pressure line on the drivers side front. It runs from the A/C condenser to the A/C compressor. You are looking for any oil/sludge on the line itself.

You can replace the parts yourself but I suggest you have the system vacuumed down and refilled by a professional. The high pressure line will run you just shy of $90 from Nissan and you should change the drier at the same time and that will cost an additional $70 plus the cost to vac/refill the system. Replacement time for both items is around1-2 hours.

Pics borrowed from Knicol

Pic showing line location on drivers side front. Typically they will leak right where the arrows indicate look for compressor oil on the rubber jacket.

Better pic showing the leak. Note the compressor oil on top of the steering box and that it is green in color. If you think you have a leaking steering box trace the leak it may be the high pressure line.

Thermo Control Element
The TCE, also referred to as the wax pellet, is located on the base of the of the throttle chamber and controls cold start idle. As the pellet expands as the engine warms up it lowers the mechanical idle. Over time the o-ring that seals them tends to start leaking coolant usually onto the ex manifold. It's often times an annoying coolant leak that can not be traced as there is no leaking coolant apparent but because coolant is being vaporized, as it hits the ex manifold, it leaves the distinct smell of antifreeze around the engine bay.

You can fix it yourself using basic hand tools and a $1 o-ring. The process of replacing it will generally take about 1-2 hours.

Thermo Control Element DIY

Location of the TCE as indicated by the red arrow

Textbook leaking TCE

Those are probably the most common issues you will find with a GEN 1 Xterra and none of them terribly difficult to remedy. Over all they are well built and very off road capable trucks. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
This is great man thanks. Only ever checked the timing belt , radiator , and water pump before purchasing my 1st gen. But this is definitely helpful for future references !

#5 ·
As rigs age, a litany of "things that go south on you" grows proportionally...I see it on every forum for every rig type out there....its the nature of the beast when driving something older.

Luckily, as far as that sort of thing goes, the X is a durable beast...and many can be ignored and you get around anyway, etc...and/or there are band-aides.

>:D

#7 ·
This will be a useful guide for me today. I'm going to check out a 2004 Xterra this afternoon, to possibly buy. Here is the ad. Let me know what you guys think about the price and also, what is that red wire running across the engine? thanks http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/ctd/5064425644.html
Looks clean. Make certain they can tell you/prove the timing belt was changed, all the parts they list indicate a proper T-belt service and the new clamps indicate they actually had it apart. Red wire looks to be a for an amp/stereo component. Center caps are all missing but meh not a big deal.

Just look for all the other items listed above. As for price....got me. :p Fair price is what you are willing to pay. ;)

#10 ·
Looks like it is in good shape. Mileage is solid and RacerXXL is right, the red wire looks to be connected to an after market deck he had installed. You can see a glimpse of the new deck in one of the pictures. I would say the timing belt replacement would be your biggest concern if he hasn't replaced it, but other than that it looks beauty.
The hubs can be ordered off Ebay for like $12 each.
And the price seems more than fair to me. I purchased my 02 SE Supercharged with 195k for $5000CAD. I would say go for it.

#11 ·
So I actually went and checked out another 2000 Xterra that was a lower price, but turns out it needs a lot of suspension work for it to be safe to drive. There was a lot of play in the steering wheel, needed a timing blet job, tires, tire rods, etc . I'll be going to checkout this Xterra tomorrow. I have a feeling this one in the the link I provided is in much better shape. Have any of you towed another car with your Xterra? Just wondering how the MPGs are affected with the added weight since I'm moving to Ohio in August and might need to tow our other Civic.

#13 ·
Hi, this is Dave, noob on this forum.
I, too, am looking at buying a 2004 Xterra. It's inexpensive because it's 2wd. It has spent it's life in the desert, so is rust free. 110K.
Timing belt has not been done. Everything else looks good on first look. Interior is nice.
Auto trans. I prefer manual. Do you think these automatics are prior to problems?
Does Nissan make many manual transmission Xterra? Can the automatic 2wd be converted to manual?
Thanks for your time.

#14 ·
I am new to the forums and cannot be more grateful for this thread. I will be checking out two 2004 SE's this week/weekend with the full intention of purchasing. I could not have known about some of these issues without your insight.

SE1: Brown, 114k on the clock, timing belt and CV joints done recently (by a dealership). Owned since 2005 by private seller. $5,600 asking price.
SE2: Silver, 128k on the clock, more info needed on maintenance. $5,500 asking price at a dealership, so I am a little wary.

Thank you very much! Excited to become part of the club!

#16 ·
Nailed it

I just spent several weeks shopping for a used first gen xterra and if I'd read this post before starting on my quest, I'd have saved myself a lot of time.

This list of problem areas is EXACTLY what I found after looking at a number of trucks. Everthing from the leaking valve covers and P/S hoses to the super-critical cam belt maintenance are spot-on. Thanks for such an informative post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.