Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Silent Transmission?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mjepps72 
#1 ·
So, ever since I bought my X, I have always heard the transmission; not in a bad way or so I think. A buddy of mine said it should be absolutely silent and I shouldn't hear it at all, but another friend who works for Best Transmission says its fine. All i hear is a slight whining, which gets louder when I gun it into the higher RPMs, but dulls back down when I let off the gas.

When I'm driving through town I still hear it, but like i said it doesn't SOUND bad. After recieving 2 different opinions I figured I would come here and ask you guys :]

I'm not worried about a solenoid (something that was brought up to me) because she is still shifting fine, it's just the whine.

Help?

#2 ·
First off, is auto or manual?
If it is auto, the transmission front pump and torque converter do whine and it is normal.
If it is a manual, remember it is a truck transmission and a little whining is fine also.

#4 ·
a little whine is ok every car ive had has had a slight whine. a crunch or cracking or shredding ect type noise is bad but there are a pump and torque converter as stated above that whine in an automatic

#5 ·
your buddy is probably used to driving other vehicles with different setups. My wifes mdx is ridiculously quiet inside and I dont think I have ever heard the transmission make a sound. I used to drive a ford f550 at one of my old jobs and I swear the tranny in that thing was louder than the engine.

#7 ·
your buddy is probably used to driving other vehicles with different setups. My wifes mdx is ridiculously quiet inside and I dont think I have ever heard the transmission make a sound. I used to drive a ford f550 at one of my old jobs and I swear the tranny in that thing was louder than the engine.
I second this one. My wife's Highlander I swear is electric sometimes. If it wasn't for the tach showing a readout I would have tried to double start it many of times. I also have a 95 F150 that has a louder transmission than the engine and runs great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.