Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Do I need transmission flashed?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dejablue 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Xterra. Transmission fluid ran low causing transmission to go into limp mode.
I put 2 qts. to bring up level now transmission goes into 3rd (limp mode) after 1 minute of driving, shifts fine just before going into limp mode. I can turn off, wait a few seconds, turn on, again, shifts fine until about a minute later, then goes into limp mode.
My main question is, if I get a matching (numbers etc) transmission from a yard or off the internet, do I have to get it "flashed" at a dealer???
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response pack. I'm thinking maybe crud got into something, I mean, the truck ran fine, no slipping at all, and as soon as I noticed I was not getting any power, I was right near an auto parts place, added the fluid (2 Qts.) but the computer still thinks something is wrong. "05" with 234K, can't complain, but it was not your typical "oh no my tranny is slipping" failure, more like a computer issue. Did the whole disconnect battery etc. etc.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick response pack. I'm thinking maybe crud got into something, I mean, the truck ran fine, no slipping at all, and as soon as I noticed I was not getting any power, I was right near an auto parts place, added the fluid (2 Qts.) but the computer still thinks something is wrong. "05" with 234K, can't complain, but it was not your typical "oh no my tranny is slipping" failure, more like a computer issue. Did the whole disconnect battery etc. etc.
Does the check engine light come on? There might be some codes present. I'm not sure how it works with the 2nd gens but would be worth going to autozone for a scan if you don't have a scanner.

Could also try draining all the fluid and dropping the pan to see if there is anything noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.