Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Cat back exhaust

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  slipjohn1 
#1 ·
I'm sure someone has done this. I have the new parts and will tackle it next weekend. My question is are the bolts on the Y pipe actual bolts or studs? I'm not gonna try to unscrew them, I'm thinking of cutting the heads of and just knocking them out, but this won't work so well if they are welded on studs. Anyone do this? I'm sure someone has, thanks for any info.

#4 ·
There is nothing to buy here, no one ships to Mexico it never gets here ,customs opens ever thing and if they want it they help them self's. They dont even sell mufflers here Cancun is 100 miles just get a cheap Jap muffler . I have all my guests bring me parts on the airline in return for discount on hotel room , but it has to fit in there suitcase.I would love to get a cat back in a suitcase.I am wishing for a globel ladder to put luggage on top of the Xterra from the guest i pick up at the airport but i am only dreaming!!

#5 ·
I did my whole system about a year ago, If I recall, it was all nuts and bolts and clamps. The only "studs" were where the cats connected to the exhaust manifold that were so bad, I replaced them.
***CAUTION*** the guy at my local Nissan dealership sold me studs that were not the right thread design, apparently there is a fine and coarse thread, or some difference. I definitely cross threaded one side, but just left it......
Now you got me thinking.... lol...
As a matter of fact, the "Y" pipe, I think is part of the actual muffler??

#6 ·
Hey if you do this and its a first gen cut those darn heat shields off. They rust and get loose etc and so they rattle if they arent already. Mine is straight piped so pretty much everything is gone. Though with all the resonators its still pretty quite. Has a nice throaty idle. But i highly suggest if you get a cat back you get a louder muffler if you want it a bit loud. My super 44 or 40 i can recall which it was i paid 200 to get installed and it was hardly louder than stock. My old dodge with the 360 v8 was louder with stock exhuast. I like my stuff fairly loud but with straight pipes its just right. Nice throaty idle and it isnt raspy at all not even slightly. Theres a guy down the block with one and its a million times louder than mine but its got a muffler on it and it makes it wayyy loud. too loud for me infact and thats coming from sombody than ran a straight pipe on the 360v8 after a while and that damn thing you could hear idling across the street. Make sure you get what you want is what im saying. Do some research before you spend the money. And this all applies to specifically first gens. I know nothing about 2nd gens other than basics.

#8 · (Edited)
There is nothing to buy here, no one ships to Mexico it never gets here ,customs opens ever thing and if they want it they help them self's. They dont even sell mufflers here Cancun is 100 miles just get a cheap Jap muffler . I have all my guests bring me parts on the airline in return for discount on hotel room , but it has to fit in there suitcase.I would love to get a cat back in a suitcase.I am wishing for a globel ladder to put luggage on top of the Xterra from the guest i pick up at the airport but i am only dreaming!!
I lived in uruapan michoacan for 6 months. I <3 mexico. But ya the shipping sucks. it was 13+ hours (each way) trip to the boarder but I would drive it when i needed suplies. (I was also driving a TDI jetta when i lived there)

(also drove there from buffalo NY so 51hours total of driving each way)
that car had 360K miles on it when i finally sold it many a memory with that car.

I would love an excuse to head back down what hotel or resort do you work at?

#10 ·
I am the owner of Villa Deja Blue in Cozumel
www.villadejablue.com
Wow.

Just checked out your site. Your trip advisor, etc, reviewers love you.

If I go back to Cozumel, I would definetely check you out. I'd also have suitcases with Gobi Racks and cat backs, etc.

>:D

I have a feeling the airline would kill me on oversized/overweight charges on the luggage though....but its the kind of project I love.

#11 ·
Wow.

Just checked out your site. Your trip advisor, etc, reviewers love you.

If I go back to Cozumel, I would definetely check you out. I'd also have suitcases with Gobi Racks and cat backs, etc.

I have a feeling the airline would kill me on oversized/overweight charges on the luggage though....but its the kind of project I love.
You have Gobi Racks or Cat Back you stay for free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
You have Gobi Racks or Cat Back you stay for free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

I'd have to buy them first, and pay to ship them in my luggage...so it would cost a lot to stay for free...

...but it would be worth it to see the look on your face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.