Nissan XTerra Forum banner

CX GY Duratrac room

27K views 122 replies 34 participants last post by  19DAN58 
#1 · (Edited)
#8 · (Edited)
Haha just put em on yesterday and fell in love with em once I picked up my X.

265/75/16 gen 1
Highway, my loadwarrior is louder.
Lemme finish breaking em in and I'll tell ya more.

Hopefully wheeling this weekend.

#11 ·
I'm still waiting for some miles to accumulate.

No one I know has over 20k on them yet.

I also need some people to try some more hard core stuff, like at RC, etc, where side wall slicing, etc, are more common...and the tires can get more of a stringent test than most of them have been getting.

I'm getting impatient people....lets get a MOVE ON!!!

:goteam::goteam::goteam:

#13 · (Edited)
TJ did you not see any of the pix from our last woolys trip?

Three pics of the same rounded rock, against the same sidewall, and if THAT could pop a tire, it would have had to be a really really weak tire

I have video of this too
Ps Dont let Coal creek fool you.. they've got some rock abuse there.. I know Luke did some rock stuff
LOL

All I saw were soft rocks...rounded edges, etc.

I was looking for some stuff on sharp rocks...the kind where the tire's cut resistance is tested.

The worst case is typically exposed edges of shale or slate, or fractured granite, etc...when its rainy or in water, as the water lubricates the cut like cutting oil for a drill press, etc....making the tires slice more easily.

The erosion rounded rocks are fine for wheeling on, and easier on the tires of course...but, not as severe a test.

:wink-big:

#15 · (Edited)
I didnt mean that time.. Was just showing how the grip on the side walls..
I figured, just messin wit yah.

:D

The vids are of course a bit too low in resolution to tell how sharp a rock is typically.

But, really, I am waiting to see one really tested.

One of the main problems with tire evaluations is what and who they are tested by...its very subjective.

I know tons of people who SWEAR by a tire as unstoppable in mud, on rocks, on the road, in the snow, etc...but, they simply have no baseline to compare...and their scale is skewed.

If the wheeling is where it simply is not really a challenge for the TIRE, almost ANY tire can seem to be amazing....if you don't have a baseline.

On some terrain, a bald street tire will grip like crazy and get you places you thought were super hard core (On slick rock for example...)

If the terrain had included some nice Georgia Clay, or some sharp rocks, well, you'd be less thrilled.

And so forth.

One of the first times I wheeled with other people for fun was in the Pine Barrens....hard packed dirt trails mostly that day...and I was on fairly bald AT's, open diffs, no lift (Old Jeep).

Well, I kept up with the guys with lifts and lockers, and was felling like I must be amazing at this off roading stuff if my stock jeep on bald tires can go every where the lifted locked monsters could go.

I was feeling very cocky/confident...my rig was unstoppable!

:D

Well, the NEXT TIME out, we hit DIFFERENT trails, and this time, we were in MUD.

So, my manual tranny bald tired rig was suddenly not so amazing...and the mud tires, and lockers, and lifts, suddenly seemed to make a difference....and I was hit with the concept of a BASELINE needed to tell how good something worked off road.

Years later, at Paragon, same deal...getting on a trail you CAN'T do is eye opening as far as revealing your limitations...and the lesson was reinforced.

Eventually, I get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of tires, components, etc...and, can establish a baseline for them....but, it takes time.

So - after year after year of listening to people yap about how amazing the tire they got last Tuesday worked off road, I have developed a healthy respect for the need for a baseline for realistic comparisons.

I have high HOPES for the Duratrac, so far, so good, as far as an aggressive AT role for it.

I just want to see enough of it in action to get ITS baseline down.

:wink-big:

#26 ·
I'm really wanting some Duratrac's but they are an additional $30/each on top of BFG AT KO's. Is it worth it?

Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.