2003 Xterra
post #14 of 16 Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
72240z
Seasoned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Xterra

Right off the bat you should know most of the top end of the engine has to come apart so that 1 bolt sensor cant be accessed. If I were going to do the job I would charge 400+ labor alone. (Which I have many times)

Second it's not adversely effecting engine performance by not working.

It's a safety device that will alert the ecu of a knock so it can retard the timing to help correct it. The vg could run forever with a moderate knock, its a low comp naturally aspired engine. You'd be hard pressed to get it to knock in the 1st place, maybe old bad gas on a hot day etc..... I have a ton of vg experience, 2 z32's a z31, d21, xterra say nothing for all the engine work I have done on custi and friends vg's. a knock is the last thing I would worry about on a vg33.

Third it doesn't throw a light. You can even get inspected with it throwing that code. I just did but a few weeks ago.

Three strong reasons imho. If you ever have to do intake mani gaskets or head gaskets or anything like that then you do it. OR you just unplug the one thats broken, bolt a new one somewhere else on the block and plug into that one. Thats the 100 dollar peace of mind option lol.

Jason
2001 Xterra
post #15 of 16 Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
that smell
Noob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Xterra

A little back history on this xterra. In the last year it has ran (not well) 2 months out of 12. The rest of the time has been spent at garages and at home waiting to save 1000s to fix it and its always going to finally be fixed...this will fix it or that will...the whole time with hand out.The guy fixing the cat converters said he placed new cat and the car ran no better . Now it needs to go back to engine mechanic because something else is going on. He hooked up computer and showed me the codes-a few for knock sensor, a couple for the transmission but no others. Now the car was at a garage before moving to get cats fixed. If that mechanic didnt easily find engine problem then the rest(mechanics)will have no better luck.I,m done ,I,m going to cut my losses and let bank have car.Ive spent over 4000.00 in repair this year(its only May) and the car still wont run well enough to drive.Thanks for your input guys. Ive had nissans since 1993. They are GREAT vehicles.. I just got a lemon on this one
2003 Xterra
post #16 of 16 Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM
drbandkgb
It was always fumbles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2000 Xterra

SIGH! Take that SUV home and love on it some... Before id mess my credit up.. I would stay on this board (its free ya know) There are 4 or 5 top mechanics on here.. that deal with this stuff every day! Listen to them... If you have any tools at all most of these things could be done at home... Work on one issue at a time.. Ask questions on here...
You can go to any Autozone or Advance to have codes pulled.. like 72240z said dont mess with the K/S..wast of time...
Good luck man
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.