post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wargamer
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 Xterra

Engine stutter on highway then shutdown when at rest

Hey all so over the weekend i was headed out of town when the engine started stuttering and would not drop a gear to accelerate, i pulled over and checked under the hood and under the car since i had it stuck in the mud the weekend before and had to leave it overnight, but there was nothing in the engine compartment. I did some research and maybe narrowed it down to the timing belt (which was done 60k miles ago) or the distributor. i took the distro cap off and the rotor does not spin by hand, and when i crank the engine it spins at maybe 1-2 rotations per second, unfortunately im not sure if this is bad or good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. for reference the X is a 2000 6cyl 4wd.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Ben Pedersen
Seasoned

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Garage
I just had a similar issue on my 2000 SE and it turned out to be a spark plug wire. I'm no mechanic, but what the guys at O'Reilly's told me was that the distributor cap may have some marks on it if it is shot. Mine looked like it had some crud on the pegs that touch the rotor, so I just replaced my cap as well as my rotor and spark plug wire. It's really a relatively cheap thing to do at around $100 and may fix your problem. If not, you have replaced some things that will need to be replaced sooner or later anyway. Other than that though, I can't provide much else for advise... I just started learning to work on my X recently. Are you getting any codes?

2000 Xterra SE
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM
webbrowan

I did not think that the timing belt could ever cause such a problem, but yes an issue with the spark plug could. However, if you do service your car regularly or have it checked after an off-road excursion, then something else that is more major could be occurring internally. It is best to have a thorough check-up after a vigorous off-road adventure in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wargamer
Noob

2000 Xterra

I think we figured it out, there's no fuel going into the engine so I believe the fuel pump has failed
2000 Xterra
post #5 of 5 Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Wargamer
Noob

2000 Xterra

So I opened up the cover under the rear seat, and it occurs to me, are the fuel sending unit and the fuel pump the same thing? Or are they both just in the tank?
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.