Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Viewing Port Under Transmission?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
My dad recently bought a 2001 Xterra non-SC, manual transmission, 4wd with a blown engine with the intention to replace the engine. He ordered an engine from an X with an auto tranny, and now he is left with a "viewing port cover" for the transmission; the cover that you would remove from the bottom of the tranny to access the torque converter. He isnt sure if the cover came from the new engine (with an automatic) or the old engine (and manual). any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
My dad recently bought a 2001 Xterra non-SC, manual transmission, 4wd with a blown engine with the intention to replace the engine.

He ordered an engine from an X with an auto tranny,

and now he is left with a "viewing port cover" for the transmission; the cover that you would remove from the bottom of the tranny to access the torque converter.

He isnt sure if the cover came from the new engine (with an automatic) or the old engine (and manual). any help would be appreciated.
For the manual, there's a slave cylinder (Lever with plunger looking thing...) that has a rubber access cover on it. If you have a rubber cover that looks like it should pop into a rectangular hole IIRC, that might be it?

Do you have a pic?

BTW - If swapping a auto engine into a manual X, the bell housings can mismatch, and, the starter will be clocked wrong, and the flywheels are different.

Depending on the year of the engine, etc, the harness and the plugs, etc, can be different, and, the exhaust locations may be different.

Its all doable, but your dad might have a wee bit of fab work to do to make it all work, w/o dash lights, or other issues, etc.

#4 ·
From what I can see from Courtesy Parts and the Nissan FSM's they show no distinction from auto to manual for that cover, but I may be wrong. Only distinction Courtesy shows is a part change from a 2000 to the later models 1st Gens but no pics or specs to tell which is which or if they even are significantly different.

#5 · (Edited)

There's a picture, with a hammer for scale. It's a piece of sheet metal that sits between the engine and transmission, and sitson the bottom half of the bell housing. Looking at the engine, it looks like it might just be a small spacer to fill a 1/16th gap.
The starter goes through the hole at the right of the pictured item. (I thought the part was rubber based on your initial description (Rubber plug, etc...), and that's not a viewing port in the pic, as you'd need to remove the starter to remove it, etc.)

It MIGHT be part of what sets the starter's cog's depth that it pops out to engage the flywheel at, etc, too. (Not its purpose, but, part of its end contribution, etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.