Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Wheels and tires?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to buy some new wheels and tires for my 02 x. I want fuel wheels and off-road tires but I don't know what size to get.. I'm looking to get a 2" BL. Please help

#2 ·
Without a rim size its hard to specify an EXACT tire size, but, with a 2" BL you can fit tires up to 33" in diameter and with a section width of up to 13.5" wide.

For 15" rims, that's typically a 33x12.5/15.

For 16" rims, that's typically a 305/70/16, and so forth.

#3 ·
Another thing to think about is backspacing and offset. For backspacing, the stock number is 5.5" basically that means the back side of the hub mounting surface is 5.5" away from the edge of the rim. In order to trim the least amount of plastic/metal as possible, try to keep the backspace as close to 5.5 as possible.

Sadly, I've never purchased wheels that use offset, so I have no idea what that number should be for any given width.

You're probably not gonna want to get a rim wider that 9". The wider rims don't hold a bead as well and require more trimming as the tire sticks out farther. Most people I've seen stick to 8 or 8.5"

#5 ·
The wider rims don't really stick out further or make the tread fatter, etc, on truck tires, as the large expanse of sidewall simply puckers in/out essentially leaving the rest unaffected.

The wider rims DO make you blow beads more often off road, as explained above, the narrower rims hold the bead better. MOST of us actually run the OEM 7" rims with up to 12.5" to 13.5" section width tires....and they wear evenly, and work great, etc.

Here's an '01 with 33x13.5/16 tires on OEM alloy 16x7 rims with 5.5" of BS:

>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.