Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2001 Fogs no workey ?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Soccerfan 
#1 ·
Just bought a one-owner 2001 from a 27 year old female.

I painted the plastics over the weekend, and plan on posting before and after photos when I get all the pieces put together again.

One thing I noticed was the drivers side fog was mangled from a little oops that happened. Neither worked when I flipped the switch, but a couple minutes underneath revealed that while the left was broken, the passenger side was unplugged. Hooked it up expecting light. Nope. Sent an e-mail to the PO and she remembers having some electrical work done a few years ago when some varmit dined on some wiring.

Now I'm looking for help. Any suggestions on how to go about chasing this down? Maybe I should start over, with an independent switch/relay to get them powered?

#2 ·
yeah man mine work, but what i would do is hit up the local auto parts store and get some aftermarket fogs and replace the factory ones, i kinda wanna do that with mine but dont have time to run wiring like that. and wire the switch into either the factory switch or put in a new one, on another note what paint did you use on the plastics?

#3 ·
Krylon Fusion Black Satin. $4.24 at your local Wally-World, or $7.29 at O'Reilly. Don't even try AutoZone, their selection ( at least at my store) not to mention the interest of the store personnel, was below even my lowest expectation. I'll get photos up, but not before next week. That is just my decision, I'd be willing to bet that there are other choices that would work just as well. Spousal and offspring are impressed with what a difference it makes to shoot a little paint....even rattlecan paint. Don't be afraid, just spend more time on prep than on actual painting.

#4 ·
if you ever plan on doing the whole bumper thing, just take them off or leave them on for the illusion of them working...bc if you do decide to do the bumper they are going to be obsolete anyway. just a thought

#5 ·
i work at autozone that hurts lol jk but i do work there, i will admit they dont care if you know anything about cars when they hire you. so you get the people that are just there for the joke of a paycheck, pt there sucks ass! i am in college and work part time it sucks as $300 every 2 weeks gives me no play money, gas, insurance, and getting necessary items are all i can get, fortunately im 21 and have a great dad who helps me out, gives me extra money for helping with the home business he has, and lets me live in his house. but back on topic he was saying his fog dont work, i would either run new aftermarkets with wires and new switch or follow the wiring back until you find a break or ground out spot in the wires the rats may have chewed up.

#6 · (Edited)
I ended up running new wiring for this, adding a switch next to the rear window wiper switch, relay in the engine compartment, and running grounds up high on the side of the engine compartment. Initially I tried to ground this within a foot of the fogs, but the ground was not good enough to work for me, ran 3-4 feet of wire up to the area just behind the battery on the passenger side and behind the air box on the drivers side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.