Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Question about 4H

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  rjr162 
#1 · (Edited)
When I switch into 4 High everything is fine when driving around 10+mph

However, when I'm kind of coasting or pressing lightly on the gas my Xterra stops and I have to gas it some for it to go and it will shake until I get it up to at least 10mph again.

I don't THINK this is good (the shaking is my worry) but I honestly don't know.

It's a 2006 and it's completely stock.

**UPDATE**
I noticed it only seizes up a bit and shakes when I am cutting the wheel pretty far; ie. parking, 3-point turn, etc.

#2 ·
It sounds like the half shafts and or front u-joints may be toast! It is important to change all the front u-joints, if you find one bad one.

#10 ·
FYI: do not turn on dry surface in 4wd. You will break something.
I was JUST reading about this! Can I ask how it would break something?

And is it safe for 4wd in dirt/forest trails even if its dry or dusty?

P.S. Problem solved, it was simply me using 4wd when I didn't need it. Sorry for the whole thread of wasting time guys..

#11 ·
I was JUST reading about this! Can I ask how it would break something?
Because the tires are all turning at different speeds when you turn left or right (inner vs outer as well as front and rear).

Being in 4WD you're "locking" them all together, which will cause binding and stress if the tires can't slip some (IE> if you're on dry pavement).

My wife had a 96 Grand Cherokee which had the all time 4WD with the shifter for 4HI, 4LO or Neutral. You could tell every time you pulled into a parking spot or made a hard turn the drive train was binding (the front tires would "hop" and you could hear the chip)

Needless to say during the period she had it it needed to have front drive train replaced

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.