Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1st Gen Performance Parts/Mod List

102K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Dr_xXx 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a performance parts mod list I have been working on, its not finished as I am always doing research so more will be added as time goes on. Here is what is available, what should be available and what can be made at home and so on…

Intake:
1a) DYI Intake Mod – Removal of (3) Resonators and adding a K&N Filter
1b) Short Ram Intake Kits - K&N, Volant, Nismo, Airaid, AEM, and Generic/eBay
1c) Snorkel - 4x4parts.com – The only real CAI for the Xterra, works with the factory air box and the Volant intake kit.

2) Throttle Body Spacer - Poweraid and Generic/eBay - Still a debate on possible gains.

3) Bored Out Throttle Body - SLR was the only company producing these. Is there any machinist on this forum, I would pay to get my TB bored out and a larger throttle plate.

4) Intake Manifold Spacer Kit - Yet to be produced because no one will sign the petition at the top of this page! According to testing these provide a decent amount of hp/tq for the cost.

5) Intake Coolant Bypass - Either a kit off eBay or a DYI kit, this mod should cost less than $10 and is NOT recommended for colder climates.

6) EGR Delete - Only a select few of us even have them, I’m not sure if it has even been done or can be done in the Xterra world. Further research must be done.

Exhaust:
1) Headers - 4x4parts.com - These delete the main cats and O2 sensor relocation required.

2) Federal Down Tubes - Walker Exhaust – These delete the second cats, if you use these with headers you must add a catalytic converter somewhere or use O2 sensor simulator.

3) High Flow Cats - Magnaflow is my personal brand of choice, you can get them fairly cheap off eBay.

4) Muffler - Anything is better than that trash can sized thing that Nissan calls a muffler, the Nismo Cat-Back system seems to be a hot item right now as you can get it for around $300 shipped off eBay and it comes with a new Y-pipe, if your interested buy one while you can because the guy only has a limited number on hand and when they are gone they are GONE.

5) Resonator – There is no point to adding one, there is no point for the one that is there to begin with. Get rid of it you dont need it, its the small can right before the exhaust tip

6) Piping - Mandrel bent has the highest flow ratings because it is no crushed but is also the most expensive and somewhat hard to find a company that does it, as for what size piping this seems to be a good rule of thumb..
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Exhaust_Pipe_Size.htm

Cooling
1) Electric Fan Conversion - I am going with a 16” Zirgo fan from eBay, what this will do it help take some stress off the engine, the engine turn the fan currently so with an electric fan the engine will be able to rev more freely, Yes the water pump is attached to the same pulley but IMO it will still have some impact. I will hopefully be doing a write up for this in a few weeks.

2) Thermostat – Personally I like the Nismo Thermostat, its quite expensive but the Nismo thermostat open at 143 degrees and the standard opens at 170 degrees. This will allow your radiator to start cooling your engine before the temperature gets too high. Cooling running temperature will yield higher power and throttle response. Also this will mean less work for your new electric fan.

Other
1) Automatic Transmission Cooler – Keep your automatic transmission fluid cooler giving you better gas mileage and longer transmission life. Also because of the reduced heat less power is lost though the drive train.

2) Synthetic Upgrade/Conversion – Upgrade all your fluids to full synthetic AMSOIL. Everyone knows the benefits of running full synthetic oils, I don’t condone just draining out everything, if it needs to be changed then convert it. And keep in mind everything, The differentials, transfer case, transmission, engine oil, even power steering if you would like. There are also coolant additives that you can add to enhance your cooling, such as a product called “Redline:Water Wetter”

3) Computer Upgrade – If you send 4x4parts.com your computer they will tune the ECU to get the most out of the performance mods that you have. The cost is around $325 and you are required to send in your computer so there will be some down time until you get it back.

4) Cam Upgrade – 4x4parts.com offers 2 kinds of cams for the VG33E a high performance and a race cam, I do not recommend the Race cam as I think it will be too much for a daily driver, it may work well as a trail only rig but I would still lean more towards the high performance version. Along with a new cam, new lifters are required as well.

See less See more
Reactions: Medicendan
#3 ·
thats awesome
stickied.
can i change the title to "1st Gen Performance Parts/Mod List"

Reactions: jarrlan
#4 ·
go ahead that title works for me, that was my original title then i started to editing and it got changed somehow lol..

I plan on revising this list as often as i find out new information.. I have a few other things to add but I want to be sure about them first, because they are tricks I pulled from the import tuner world..

Reactions: jarrlan
#7 ·
brandonpriceco said:
What we need is another world famous Soccerbrace DIY snorkel install...:anbeten-big:
Give me two weeks.....

#9 ·
I like all the big time mods and i plan on doin: headers and completely new exhaust, high performance cams and lifters, ecu upgrade, electric fan, auto tranny cooler and id like for the intake mani spacer thing to get off the ground! I really like this mod list by the way!

#10 ·
i have been looking around for headers for my 03 x. I looked at 4x4parts.com and they had headers for a the first generation xterras but for the models that are not supercharged. Why is that? can supercharged xterra not have headers? i have not be able to find any yet?

#11 ·
I think SLR (who is out of business now) was the only mfg for aftermarket headers for all 1st gen xterra models. As to what the differences are, its probably a space issue due to the extra plumbing involved with the S/C. I've noticed that my engine compartment is way more "cramped" compared to the non-S/C engine bays.

#13 ·
Any idea how much HP each one of those mods add if any?

#14 ·
4x4 parts sells them and say it is for non supercharged only. I really believe the same headers will fit on the SC version. The part numbers for headers on the NA and the SC Xterra are the same from Nissan. I'm sure they would fit, it's just that no one has tested them on the SC.

There's the same amount of room in there, just that supercharger on top and a pulley/belt in the front.

I have headers on my 2000 and one of these days I will put them on the 2002 SC, but those exhaust manifolds have not cracked so I don't have a good excuse.

How much horsepower does it add? I don't know. Certainly not as much as the manufacturer would tell you. but it sounds frigging awesome.

#15 ·
4x4 parts sells them and say it is for non supercharged only. I really believe the same headers will fit on the SC version. The part numbers for headers on the NA and the SC Xterra are the same from Nissan. I'm sure they would fit, it's just that no one has tested them on the SC.

There's the same amount of room in there, just that supercharger on top and a pulley/belt in the front.

I have headers on my 2000 and one of these days I will put them on the 2002 SC, but those exhaust manifolds have not cracked so I don't have a good excuse.

How much horsepower does it add? I don't know. Certainly not as much as the manufacturer would tell you. but it sounds frigging awesome.
let me know when you try to put the headers on the sc version. i have 2003 sc and havent been able to get a clear answer if the headers would fit or not. thanks. and good luck

#16 ·
HP is pretty subjective unless you dyno it. I've done a lot of performance mods to my X (see my sig block below) and my last Scanguage test reading was 192. My uber-scientific test was slamming on the gas from stop on a level road and seeing what the top number was on the gauge ;-)

Have I really added 22 HP over stock? Dunno, no dyno test. Does my X accelerate/pass/climb better than when I drove it stock? Hell yes!

Still both subjective. Same holds for mileage calculations related to mods because there are a lot of variables at play.

#17 ·
let me know when you try to put the headers on the sc version. i have 2003 sc and havent been able to get a clear answer if the headers would fit or not. thanks. and good luck
X2 on that. I would love to put some on my '04 SC.

#18 ·
Dual exhaust?

What about dual exhaust with headers and some flowmasters? I live in an emissions exempt county in CO. What do you think? I've even hogged out the cat in my subaru since it is a flat 4 and already has "headers" in a way. The cat is still there in line but has nothing in it.

:kalt-big:

#20 ·
Thnx for the list on the 1st gen. And your right, 4x4.com has a very nice array.

#21 ·
PLEASE, drop the TBS from the list, or, drop the "Debate" part....and substitute that it is a scam.

There is no debate.

A TBS cannot work on a sequential multiport fuel injected engine, it is physically impossible for it to do what it claims in this context.

It would be akin to a "Debate" on the merits of a Turbinator, etc (Also not on your mod list...)

:D

#25 ·
Has anyone looked at upgrading the coil to a high output model?
Gen 1 distributor can't be tinkered with because of a built-in resistor. Products like MSD ignition products will just blow the resistor.

You have to upgrade downstream from the distributor (wires/plugs).

#26 ·
I know it has been almost a year since this was posted but in the OP it says EGR delete. I would like to do this and I am in a perfect position to do it. I own a California Xterra that was smogged a few months before I moved to MS in early 2010 so I know the EGR is still intact. Only problem is, I don't know what all needs to be removed. If anyone can get back to me on this, I would appreciate it. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.