Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Service engine soon light

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Cyclemut 
#1 ·
I have a service engine soon light on my '05. If I disconnect the battery for 30 min will it go out if there are no codes? How else could I make the light go out? I don't have a code reader.

#2 ·
advance auto will let you use theirs for free... just ask for it and hand them your license.

wedel

#4 ·
I have tried the disconnect trick a couple of times in my old truck. It sort of worked for awhile [2-3 months]. Try changing the oil first maybe? My car is doing that and i know it's because i'm too bloody busy to change the oil. One thing about disconnecting the battery- write down all your radio stations first [hard to remember afterwards- been there did that] [then lost the t shirt]. Also it's always good to have your radio theft code handy too [otherwise it won't work on startup]. But it can't hurt to try. When I did it I left it off overnight then just hoooked up, rebooted the radio and drove away.

#5 ·
Or you can find out what the code is so we can help you.

#6 ·
x2 with Soccer

capnp72: That's great and all that you got the code to go away, but unless you know the code was thrown because of you (as in you had a fuel injector unplugged, forgot, and started the car but have since plugged the injector back in) it may not have been the best to clear the code. Without the code you don't know what's wrong, and that's not a good thing

#7 ·
I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the light didn't come back on. :)
The light doesn't just come on for the fun of it. Something is wrong with your car, unless you haven't come to the conclusion of what service engine soon means...
:clueless:

#8 ·
My SES light went on back on December 11th and fuel gauge wasn't registering correctly.....filled the X with gas and still was registering 1/4 tank. SES light went off after a couple of days but came back on next fill up. Found out it was the Fuel Level Sensor/sending unit. ERROR CODE P0463. Nisan has not issued a full recall for this but extended the warranty from 36K/36 months to 72K/72 months on CERTAIN vin#s. Not sure if this helps but I had mine replaced for FREE at my local Nissan Dealership today.

Trish

#9 ·
Disconnecting your battery also clears the self-learn in the computer, resetting anything that it's learned. So resetting the light like that isn't recommended.

Get the code pulled. You might be hurting your engine or transmission by ignoring it.

A little bit spent now might save you from spending a ton later!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.