Nissan XTerra Forum banner

CA Smog with a Snorkel

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  OceaniaAE-1 
#1 ·
Got an 02 X with a DIY LowPro Snorkel....and the thought of will this pass smog came up after the fact :)

My question is, is anyone else in CA running a snorkel and have any problems with getting it smogged?

Thanks

#3 ·
That's what I thought. A buddy of mine mentioned that some places wont even look at your car because it has the snorkel, or the fact that the O2 sensor was moved from where it was to begin with. I haven't been able to find any info on this fact so apparently its not that big of a deal.

#4 ·
If you are using the stock airbox or a smog approved air box then you will have no issue at all. If you have it hooked up to a non smog approved airbox (like a volant) then it will not pass, but that has nothing to do with the snorkle. Mine passed for 7 or more years with a snorkle on it no problems.

God I'm glad I don't have to smog my rigs anymore, or any of my cars for that matter. :)

#5 ·
\or the fact that the O2 sensor was moved from where it was to begin with. I haven't been able to find any info on this fact so apparently its not that big of a deal.
Snorkel has nothing to do with O2 sensors.

#6 ·
Snorkel has nothing to do with O2 sensors.
Well instead of the O2 sensor being in a tube that goes into the fender, I relocated to the cap that blocks off the box. Moving the 02 sensor is needed to water proof the box. Technically the 02 sensor is in the box now. Probably doesn't make any difference but didn't know if that move would make them bitch.

#7 ·
If you are using the stock airbox or a smog approved air box then you will have no issue at all. If you have it hooked up to a non smog approved airbox (like a volant) then it will not pass, but that has nothing to do with the snorkle. Mine passed for 7 or more years with a snorkle on it no problems.

God I'm glad I don't have to smog my rigs anymore, or any of my cars for that matter. :)
Good to hear. Yeah I'm hoping to be moved back to Missouri by the time it comes up anyways.

#8 ·
Well instead of the O2 sensor being in a tube that goes into the fender, I relocated to the cap that blocks off the box. Moving the 02 sensor is needed to water proof the box. Technically the 02 sensor is in the box now. Probably doesn't make any difference but didn't know if that move would make them bitch.
Do you mean air temp sensor? Or MAF sensor? O2 sensors are in the exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.