Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bilstein front install problem

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry about the cross post - I put this in the wrong forum, meant for 2nd gen ...

So I finally broke down and got a set of Bilsteins to replace my stock shocks. I went with the HD series shocks, ordered them through shockwarehouse and had a local shop install the fronts ... but there's clearly a problem. It drove great the first day, which is perplexing, but the 2nd day it developed a clunking noise and terrible permformance while driving into town, a few miles round trip. I checked it out and saw that the upper mount bushing can slide up/down the strut rod 1/2" or so (above the upper coil mount), which would explain the noise/performance problem. The mechanic said the shocks didn't come with new bushings and they used the old ones that came stock. I spoke with shockwarehouse and they say that the Bilsteins don't come with new bushings, even the Bilstein website says to use the old coil/mount assembly. But I stopped in at a suspension specialty shop and they said that all their Bilsteins come with new bushings.
Not sure what to do here, anyone have experience with installing Bilsteins on a stock setup?
Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
I don't know about the second gens, but I just got new front bilsteins for my first gen and they came with new bushings.

#3 ·
My Bils ALL came with bushings.

I've gotten HD's, 5100's, 7100's, etc...ALL had bushings.

:huh:

#4 ·
Just get some energy suspension bushings

#5 ·
all four of mine came with new bushings. my old ones were very crushed and rotten so I wouldnt have used them even if they didnt come with them.

#7 ·
Same here .... Just got a set of 5100 for my 07 , SE and they all had new bushings in place.
Your first post revives a year old thread, which I like in that it means you are reading first, which is very encouraging.

:D

Welcome A Board!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.