Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine stalls/cuts off when clutch pedal is depressed

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Prospect62 
#1 ·
I have had my Xterra for a long, long time. This problem just started today and is an odd one at that.

Lets start with the basics. 2000 Xterra, V6 4x4 5spd. 174xxx miles. RELIGIOUSLY maintained.

Coming off the highway I can press the clutch pedal to throw it in neutral and use the brakes to slow down. Well, it's been shutting off when I do this. I can watch the tach drop to 250-500 and then it shuts down. I can restart it with no problem, fires right up like nothing. Has plenty of power (for the under powered V6 that it is) Runs like a top. If i use the engine to slow the truck down, it will not happen. It has to come from a high R.P.M. like when cruising on the highway. Effin STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!! :pullout:

#2 ·
I know the X has a no load fuel cut control that will shut off fuel if your engine goes above 2500 rpm under no load, but that doesn't sound like that would be the issue unless you are popping it into neutral while going fast. Maybe you have a wonky idle air control valve? Any codes yet?

#3 ·
No codes as of yet. I haven't bothered to start poking around to try and find anything as of yet. Might look into the IAC. I do have a tendency to just throw my truck in neutral and let it coast and use the brakes to stop. Nothing new though. I have done that since I bought it. I didn't know about the fuel cut control. Never knew it existed.

#4 ·
I figured this out a few weeks ago but haven't been back on to discuss my findings.

The distributor was loose. . . I found the hold down bracket bolt hole stripped and thus letting the distributor move freely in it's little home. So I removed the distributor, removed the bracket and pulled one off of my donor engine. Re installed everything and it runs like a champ. No more cutting out. I am happy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.