Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Engine Temp Fluctuating

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  XterraD4u 
#1 ·
2004 SE 4x4. 3" SL and 32" tires.

I was driving home from college yesterday on I-5N with cruise control on going around 75mph at just under 3,000rpms.

I glanced down and noticed that the engine temp needle was bouncing from the middle of the gauge to almost all the way down to cold. I turned off cruise control and slowed down to about 65mph and 2,500rpms and that stopped the needle bouncing.

Was I just pushing her too hard? Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
Check fluid level...more than likely there is air in the system causing the sensor to not read...or your connection at the sensor is bad, or like mine, there is a short in the wire between the sensor and the gauge...crack the bleeder on the intake and fill your coolant to make sure you get all air bubbles out, and clean and check connections.. that's where I would start

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

#3 ·
Check fluid level...more than likely there is air in the system causing the sensor to not read...or your connection at the sensor is bad, or like mine, there is a short in the wire between the sensor and the gauge...crack the bleeder on the intake and fill your coolant to make sure you get all air bubbles out, and clean and check connections.. that's where I would start

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Coolant might be a little high; when the engine's cold its just under the recommended "MAX".

Think I should go ahead and do a full coolant flush? Not sure how else to ensure there's no air bubbles in the systems.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the wiring. Didn't think of that before.

#4 ·
To get all the air bubbles there is a little bolt on the top of the intake by the Throttle body...open it up and fill your truck until only coolant is coming out...that is the highest point of the cooling system and all air bubbles should, in theory, end up there after cooling down

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#5 ·
To get all the air bubbles there is a little bolt on the top of the intake by the Throttle body...open it up and fill your truck until only coolant is coming out...that is the highest point of the cooling system and all air bubbles should, in theory, end up there after cooling down

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Thanks for the DIY, I'll check that out for sure.

Over on XN people are thinking it could be the thermostat or water pump going out too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.