Nissan XTerra Forum banner

coolant/oil mix adventures

3K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Thomas242 
#1 ·
To be honest, I'm not sure rather I'll try to save this motor or not. I'm pulling heads to inspect to determine if its worth it.

I have only pulled the drivers side head so far, I only work on it a hour every afternoon after work. This is as far as i have gotten, and the cylinder walls and piston look good to me. The head shows no signs of bad valves etc.

I'll be checking head for warpage after removing the manifold (soaking in PB).

Side note, i did find a nice piece of gray sealant in one of the heads coolant passages. Some one as been into this motor be for i could tell once i pulled lower intake, but it was some time ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
I always like to have a motor hot tanked to help clean out all the passages whenever I find stuff like that...I would have the heads inspected at a machine shop. But as long as the passages all clean out and the block isn't cracked, I'd rebuild it...just a 3.4 with 3.0 cams to save money...just sayin

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

#3 ·
The drivers side head checked out, not warped etc. I was shocked, have not taken the passenger side off as i did not feel like messing with the power steering today.

Depending on what i find with the passenger side will determine what my next step will be. If it check's out then i will order a master rebuild kit and rebuild it. If the passenger head is warped etc, then a used engine will go in(If i can find one).

I plan on pulling the block out and cleaning it, but only if the passenger head is not damaged.

#5 ·
Hopefully it was just the gasket...so are you rebuilding for more power or just stock? In any case, if you get any head work done, get them ported and polished too, as well as the intake, that will free up some ponies right there alone

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#6 ·
I cant see myself spending extra cash to get a few extra hp out of a v6, but that's just me. I own 4 vehicles plus a sport bike, and this SUV will all ways be the turtle of the lot. It will probably go stock rebuild, but I'll consider everything be for i start paying out.

I pulled passenger head off today, and sure enough found the issue.. The head gaskets appears to have been changed once be for based off 2-3 of the low side head bolts where not in par with the rest (tight wise). It seem's like a dealer job imo(this is all speculation of course).

#7 ·
I have heard just dropping the 3.0 cams in give better power, then you could always port and polish the heads and intake, and you should be closer to 185, add in an exhaust and you will be right under 195ish...but like I said, if I am ever to rebuild and I have the money and ability for down time, I am getting some vh45 pistons, some DETT rods, upgraded valve springs, port and polish the heads/intake, full exhaust, either some Jim Wolfe cams or the 3.0 cams for some more duration and lift. I figure if I do all that, it should be a 3.4 with roughly 10:1 compression and near 225 hp...I hope...but by that time it might just be better to do a 350 swap...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#8 ·
350 would probably be the cheaper route if HP was the goal. I used to build drag cars, and shooting for HP drains the bank account quickly sadly. I want this thing for weekend trip SUV, so HP is not that important to me. I think for what i will use it for, stock is would probably be the best option for me. I'll do some pricing around Monday and get back with what will happen (stock rebuild, mild performance rebuild etc). It all depends on what the over priced machine shops here will charge. there is only 2 within 50 mile distance of me, and one of those is know for spotty work.

I would like to keep the budget under 1k, but we will see if that happens.

#9 ·
YouTube how to port and polish intakes and heads...I know there are some guys on here who probably could tell you, but you could just do a light port and polish and be set for some better throttle response, and the cams from the vg30 can be pulled from a JY for cheap, then just a stock master rebuild for like 500, and you're in business...I will say this though, when you break in your motor, buy actual break in oil or a very, very good synthetic. Break in oil has extra additives and most have a high zinc content to help harden the metals and make them more lubricative...I think I just made up a word...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#10 ·
I'll describe the process of pulling this motor in one word: NIGHTMARE

Whomever thought the oil pan running down below diff was a great idea should be kicked in the teeth, but that's just my opinion.

Anyhow diff out and engine out, the aftermath(cause everyone enjoys pictures:

Little leakage there :nerd:

Like my engine stand? I made it myself, well actually loaned out my stand and this was the next best option.

#11 ·
I pulled oil pan, and I'm quite happy with the condition of the bottom end. This engine as been rebuilt once be for, and no signs of wear etc. Yes, i was shocked. I will only be doing the upper end of the engine, replacing water pump, oil pump, timing belts, all hose's etc(of course NEW head bolts). I'll probably send the heads off for machining or check with the 1 machine shop that as a decent rep. I could not find any sign of warpage, but I'll let machine shop double check.

I was going to do bottom end, but seeing that it as been done not to long ago and the fact that the engine ran smoothly be for i pulled the head, i will not dismantle the lower end (I think it would be pointless).

If anyone disagrees feel free to share, but I'm certain the lower end is in excellent condition.

#12 ·
While you're there you could always replace the mains and seals just to be safe...that way it doesn't crap out in the near future and for peace of mind since you are that far into it

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#13 · (Edited)
I decided to go ahead and put new bearings in, and send block and heads etc to machine shop. I don't know why i was being cheap on not wanting to do lower end, i guess cause I know i'll plastiguage each bearing 5 times be for I'm sure its perfect (yea I'm that bad about double checking myself). Its not about the money, just didn't want to mess with it i guess.

This was really the only bearing that looked like this, its was smooth to the touch. I'm pretty sure this has been rebuilt.

#14 ·
Nice...well at least you know it isn't worn to hell and isn't going to require a bunch of oversized parts to make up for machining...so you should look into an intake manifold spacer to add some low end torque...some say it doesn't work, but I've found of you port and polish, it adds just that much more oomph! And seriously look for some 3.0 cams or regrinds...will make the truck feel so much better!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

#15 ·
Yeah, I'm actually shocked at how well of a condition it is in for the mileage on the truck. After checking crank etc, standard bearings where recommend and already ordered. I have ported and polished heads etc be for, and have the tool to do it. It's time consuming that's for sure. I don't think it would make a real noticeable difference, but wouldn't hurt to do it. As for the 3.0 cams, I'll look into it, but have no decided yet. I mainly want this for a weekend trip rig, so it will be going down the highway for long drives that's for sure.

None the less thanks taking the time to post, and tips. I do appreciate the responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.