Nissan XTerra Forum banner

timing belt broke while driving

42K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
So Im new here because I have questions. Driving to work today at a stop sign looking to turn right, I hit the gas and the xterra didnt move, it had stalled. i tried to start it a few times no go, so called a tow and got it to a garage, they then tell me timing belt broke and probably valves are shot. I didnt hear any noise, it just stalled. $350 to replace the belt and do a compression check to see if it will run again, if not they say either a valve job or new engine. how much does either of that cost? and what the hey,why is there no warning when those are going to break?i just bought the thing a few months ago, so how are you to know?

#2 ·
your supposed to replace the timing belt at 105K or sooner. There is no indicator its going to break. If you don't do the change at 105k or sooner then your engine becomes a ticking time bomb. There is a small chance that the valves weren't damaged but I wouldn't count on it, I'd plan for the worst and hope for the best. Valves jobs are kinda of relative to what is done. usually an open ended job but they aren't cheap. You might just be better to find a used engine and replace it. You'll have to check into the cost of the engine and call a local machine shop to get an idea of the cost of a valve job.

#3 ·
Well the timing belt needs to be replaced at 100K and it says that in your owners manual... so there's your warning. You may get lucky and the valves may be alright but chances are your going to need a new engine or a lot of work... Either way it's not going to be financially friendly.

Of course if your mechanically inclined with the help of this site and it's members you may be able to fix your problems for much cheaper than taking it to a dealership...

#4 · (Edited)
well its at a local shop not a dealer, cant afford dealer prices. like i said i bought it only a 3 months ago so no idea what ws done with it before that so how would i know? who goes around replacing stuff thats not broken? it ran perfectly, had no service records from the past 4 years. plus you cant even see it with out taking off tons of engine parts, which costs a ton.

#6 ·
who goes around replacing stuff thats not broken?
People that want to avoid the exact situation your in....

If you would have joined this site 3 months ago you probably wouldn't be in this situation, we tell all our noobs coming up on 100K to change their timing belt. BTW if you have no service records and don't have a clue what was done with it, the members on this site could have walked you through all your required maintanence...

The internet is your friend... and that goes for all us on ClubX

#9 ·
well thanks, i bought it with 165k miles, it was perfect, should have known but how would you? the dealer did their inspection, it was fine, test drove it , all good, bought it in march, and today... understand, i have been driving 24 year old jeep for 5 years and junkers before that, never had a timing belt issue before today. the carfax had records of service for its life up until a couple years ago, so it broke I just want to know if anyone has ideas on costs.

#11 ·
Ya 165K on an original timing belt is a damn good run, and most Xterra's run great all the time so it's easy to think your fine... The dealer probably didn't look at the timing belt because at 165K it probably showed a lot of wear, they should have replaced it... Once again you could have googled "Xterra Maintanence" and all sorts of info is available including links to the Club..

I just rolled 160K on my 00 and im looking at a 2nd timing belt sooner than later...

If you don't know something, chances are you can find it through Google... Just keep that in mind

For all your Xterra needs.. you've come to the right place.

I think there is a couple members on here that have gone through your same dilemma so hold tight and they'll be able to point you in the right direction...

Sorry man

#12 ·
I assume the valves struck the piston heads? If so your in for atleast part of a new engine.

#13 ·
well i will give you a little hope... i didn't replace my timing belt in time and it broke and after we replaced the belt it fired right up... but if the valves hit the pistons then you are looking at alot of money to get her running... and since you bought it from a car dealer i would go to them and try to get them to pay for it...

#14 ·
My approach would be to (legally) assume that as the truck had 165 k on it, all required maintenance up to that point should have been performed (Oil changes, belts, whatever...)....so its the SELLER'S responsibility to make it right.

If it was sold, "as is", with no maintenance records, and no warranty, well, then they ARE saying that they DON'T KNOW if all that had been done, or not....and you took a chance because (hopefully), it was cheaper than other comparable choices (Because it was a crap shoot maintenance-wise...)

In that case, you took a chance, and lost....but, with any luck, the repairs won't be TOO much more than the money saved by not getting one with a warranty.

:D

Good Luck!

#15 ·
I'll give you alittle more hope. i broke 2 teeth on my belt and when i replaced it, it started right up with no problem. had 120k on mine. Don't know how much it would have cost me in labor cause i had a buddy mechanic help me out. its not too bad of a job though if your mechanicly inclined. might cost you (just for the belt change) a few hundred bucks. go here and get the parts to cut down on your cost:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/13028m-belt-timing-xterra-wd22-2000-2004-p-7277.html
As mentioned its a good idea to do the water pump also since your in there already. That site has everything you need.

#17 ·
FYI, Just priced a 3.3L for my 2002 Xterra. Used Japanese motor, hot run and tested, average mileage on those engines 50K plus or Minus. Comes with new timing belt and water pump (because you really don't know how many miles are on it). Price is $1,475 plus tax. For delivery in CA $85 shipping. To Alaska $250 shipping and to Florida or Maine $195. I chose that route. My garage man quoted me a range of $1,445-1,870 for the labor and minor parts.

#18 ·
with 165000 miles id go for new engine with low miles its time for valve job bent or not.spend the money on the valve job you still have a old engine on the bottom and with the valve job the compresson is going to go up and the rings are old you have a smoker.

#19 ·
thanks

thanks guys i appreciate the help, i will find out today what the garage says. since i didnt hear anything when it happened, I am hopeful that it just broke and stalled, but i will post the outcome. indeed it was a crapshoot buying it, a local small time dealer, paid 5800 for it, as is, got the carfax, etc. my mechanic said there was no way to know, and they are hard to see anyways so wasnt my fault. i may be new to xterras but ive had 3 nissan trucks, 3 toyota trucks, 2 jeep cj7s and 2 hondas im my life so far, never had a timing issue on any of them so this was a first.

#20 ·
Sorry about your troubles. Just wondering if it would be possible for the OP to install Super Charged engine if he decides to go that route. Would it fit in any 1st Gen?

#22 ·
You might be able to do it but I think it will be more trouble and cost than you want to deal with. You'll probably have clearance issues with the hood. Plus you'll need the SC ECU and some other stuff I think.

I'm surprised you didn't know about timing belts and change intervals when Hondas Toyotas and Nissans usually have them. Especially Honda's and alot of Toyota's

#23 ·
Well, here it is! There was no engine damage!! they put the belt on, did a compression test ,started it up, did diagnostics and found no damage! They did the water pump and all new belts, 24 point check, oil change, checked the tensioner(said it was great condition) and all for $550! I about cried.

#24 ·
Great news!!! Beats putting a new engine it.
To Silverbullet: Thanks for the reply, yeah, I forgot 2000/01 have smaller hoods, so SC probably woudl need some hood modification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.