Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Thinking of buying new for daily driver and offroad.

Tags
auto/manul
4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Airmapper 
#1 ·
Hi, just joined!
Would anyone buy new for daily driver and take their rig off road almost immediately if it's the PRO 4X?
Also, I love manual transmission vs. automatic, but I hear the automatic is smoother, maybe quicker and wouldn't I burn out the clutch if I was climbing off road anyhow?? Which do you prefer - anyone drive both drive-trains/transmissions?
:)

#2 ·
Welcome!

Let me respond to your first question with what I did. Brand new 2004 SE, 2WD MT, ran off-road within an hour of buying it. So Yes, you'll be fine.

I've only ever driven MT off-road. First in my 92 Honda Passport and now my 04 X. I've never really had clutch problems on either while driving off road, I prefer it. I've driven plenty of autos, just never off-road.

#4 ·
Haha, test drive, find what you like man. Don't just take my word for it. I've heard the same concern, all from Jeep drivers, about the clutch. Treat the clutch right and don't be crude with it, and it should last. So long as the previous owner wasn't ridiculous.

I spent about two months or so while I was at the training command looking for a MT FJ, couldn't find one I could afford. Eventually one dealer was like "Hey, you heard of the Xterra? Take a look." Test drove a couple ATs, loved them and then hunted for another six months or so and the only one in the area I finally found was the one I have now. Patience is good, unless you desperately need a vehicle now.

#5 ·
I prefer a manual for technical control...but, the auto is "easier".

IE: Its like any other automated function...its better MOST of the time, but, there are situations where manual control is preferred.

With a clutch, you can feather in/out of power more smoothly...but it can require more skill to say, pause on a steep slope, clutching out so you can brake, while giving it gas to pull away...as you need to heel and toe it to replace the third leg you might not have been born with.

You want to pick your gear for water crossings, as shifting with the tranny submerged can let in dirty water/crud to foul the plates, etc.

If wheeling with the handicapped (Automatic drivers), you will typically be going faster, as your idle speed crawl is faster than theirs as you will be using momentum to be off the gas when cresting obstructions, etc.

IE: With a manual, you can finesse obstacles an auto has to bash its way through...but, you need finesse to avoid being in a constant feathering condition, which will burn out the clutch.

You need to get in/out of the clutch swiftly and smoothly, so the feathers are brief and only when needed for an exact ground speed match here and there, etc.

So for easy trails, anything works...when you start picking harder lines, I at least find it more fun to finesse them. This can LOOK violent to outsiders, but, its timed violence to avoid breakage and wear and tear.

>:D

#7 ·
I have a manual and when I got it an almost new (certainly looked new) PRO-4X. I had mine in an off road park before the temp tags were off. I stayed on the easier trails, but none the less I had it out there.

If you are a careful driver, pick your battles and don't have a "make it or break it" mentality, your not going to hurt a PRO-4X off road, it's doing what it's made for, just don't be stupid with it.

I'd stick to moderately difficult trails in a stock PRO-4X, and as a general rule I avoid deep mud if at all possible. Mud tears stuff up quicker than general rough road conditions / crawling around will.

Another tip with the manual, don't talk to the auto-trans guys about 4H vs. 4LO. Get your butt into 4LO when you hit the trail and leave it there until your back on solid ground, barring unique situations where 4HI may be better, like deep sand.

It relieves so much stress off your engine and clutch to run in 4LO. While the auto guys are revving up, you can idle along. You have infinitely better feel and control of the clutch. You have 6 gears to run in, you can drive just as fast in 4LO on the trail as you can in 4HI, you'll bounce your guts out on a trail before you leave the acceptable speed range for LO. You have lots of gears, use em'.

#10 ·
Thanks for your feedback. Appreciated.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to driving it after driving a Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon for 9 years! I guess I have a thing for Japanese cars:) My son will love to ride in this truck.
And look forward to communicating here at ClubXterra.

#11 ·
Thanks! I'm looking forward to driving it after driving a Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon for 9 years! I guess I have a thing for Japanese cars:)

My son will love to ride in this truck.
And look forward to communicating here at ClubXterra.
LOL

That reminded me of one of my 'lil nephews who would get all excited when going for a ride, and start yelling "TRUCK! TRUCK TRUCK!" over and over again.

It was especially interesting for others because he pronounced "T'" as "F".

>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.