Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Locking hub removal need help.

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  B1GJ4Y 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a broken fixed cam Assembly what I was told anyways...And I got some new auto hubs well new used auto hubs and this is my first 4x4 ive ever owned or worked on so please bare with me here... The fixed cam is broke I got replacements what all Is needed to remove the hubs? My friend told me I have to take the whole wheel off and remove the breaks and ill have to bleed them. Do I really need to do all that bogus to put the new hubs on? I thought I could just unbolt the 6 allen bolts and pull it off and put the new ones on.

Its a 2000 Nissan xterra 4x4 3.3 v6 auto.

#4 ·
You don't have to take the wheel off if you don't want to.

When you remove the hub, there will be a ring and a spring that may or may not be loose inside of the hub. When you assemble the pieces to reinstall, the spring goes first on the inside of the hub and then you install the ring over the spring and it will fit inside of the tabs on the hub.

Here is a link to the FSM: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2000/ax.pdf

What I described to you is not shown in the manual.

#5 ·
The hubs are fully assembled the ones that I bought so I don't have to assemble anything or do I take it out of the old hub and put in the new hubs? Does the internals of the hub come off as one piece or does part of it need disassembled on the axle itself as I have never done this before ill check it out im sure if I pull it off ill see what your talking about.

#6 · (Edited)
You friend probably doesn't understand what the 4wd hub is and is thinking of the generic term "wheel hub", which would be part of the rotor and would be more in depth.

Remove 6 allen bolts. i think they are 6 or 8 mm.

On the splined shaft is a snap ring that holds the fixed cam assembly in place. You will need to spread the snap ring apart and slide it back with a screw driver or punch to slide the snap ring off the splined axle shaft. This part can be a little harder than it sounds if you don't have snap ring pliers.

With the snap ring removed, you can remove the fixed cam assembly simply by sliding it off the axle.

http://www.rkrenn.com/xterra/howto/bearing/bearing.htm

Scroll down here for the some photos of the snap ring and fixed cam assembly. Note that they are doing an entire front bearing service, so they took the tire off, brake caliper, hub, rotor, etc. You don't need to do any of that....

Literally 6 bolts and a snap ring to replace the hub and fixed cam assembly

I need to replace one of my hubs too...

#7 ·
Ok this is going to sound funny... I took off my hub and seen the snap ring. I went in my barn to find the ones I have and there all too big it was raining and it was getting dark so I put the hubs back on and got in to go to the store I live on a very messed up dirt road so I don't go over 10mph.when I pulled on to the main road soon as I hit about 20 my hub had a horrible whiney click to it and so I pulled over engaged 4x4 pulled forward a foot and reversed about 20 and put It back in 2wd and it went away no sound at all. I forgot to mention I was in drive when I engaged 4x4 and it had a sorta loud click when I engaged it is that normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.