Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Turn Key...and...Nothing! Loose battery connection

22K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  devineli_ded 
#1 ·
My ground battery cable has a loose connection around the battery terminal. The clamp is screwed in as tight as it can go, but I can still grab the clamp and slip it off of the battery post. This loose connection, now that cold weather has come into play, means that when I go out in the morning and turn they key, nothing happens. If I pop the hood, wiggle the ground clamp a little bit, and turn they key, it starts fine.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Either the battery post shrinks or the clamp got bigger. I'm assuming the cold weather has caused some sort of material contraction and thus the weak connection...

Obviously, I just told you what the problem is...but I am curious if anyone has had this before and what you did to fix it...seems the stock battery clamps should be able to work...

#4 ·
if you go to advance auto or somewhere like that they sell these lead things that look like a thimble that goes over your battery terminal to make it bigger. I had to put one on the xterra last year. It was only about a dollar or so and has done the job so far.

#7 ·
good to know guys...thanks! I will pick up a new clamp this week!

#8 ·
Loosen the clamp, bend a penny on the same radius as the clamp, put the penny in between the post and the clamp. Temporary fix that works long term if needed.
My first car was a 1982 ford exp. The positive battery cable on it would fall off while I was driving if I went to fast around curves(least of that cars problems). I broke the tab off the top of a can of dr. pepper and wedged it in and tightened it up. After I got a new car my dad drove it for a couple of years like that and never had any problems. And unlike a penny i wont cause corrosion on the terminal.

#9 ·
My first car was a 1982 ford exp. The positive battery cable on it would fall off while I was driving if I went to fast around curves(least of that cars problems). I broke the tab off the top of a can of dr. pepper and wedged it in and tightened it up. After I got a new car my dad drove it for a couple of years like that and never had any problems. And unlike a penny i wont cause corrosion on the terminal.
Lol yeah I've honestly had a penny in the clamp on my spec v for a year and a half no problems lol just haven't gotten around to changing the clamp

#10 ·
Good call on the can tab...I have a few miller lites in the fridge....hmmmmm

:D

#12 ·
So I had this very same problem, this was after my battery died (checked it at Autozone and determined it doesn't charge anymore). When I placed the new battery the negative terminal was pretty loose, fully tighten up, I put a piece of aluminum to make it tight, the positive was also loose but you can just simply replace it with a brass spare by removing one bolt. the negative however is crimped to the cable you have to do cut it, strip the cable and apply a crimping terminal and voila.

I agree on the bad design from OEM, both terminals only make contact with the post like 50% of the surface, anything happens and it won't make good contact anymore.

#15 ·
You can wrap a sleeve of any conductive metal around the battery post, and go that way indefinitely. Cheap solution that works.

#16 ·
2002 Xterra - No cranking (new battery)

My 2002 Nissan Xterra needed to be jump-started regularly. I replaced the battery and seemed to solve the problem temporarily. Now, I tried to start the truck and turn the key and I don't even hear it cranking or clicking. I tried jump-starting it and had no luck what-so-ever. The battery cables are as tight as I can make them but are still a little loose and can be turned.

Does it sound like the battery cables need to be replaced or cleaned?

Thanks

#19 ·
I ended up with a replacement negative battery cable 15" long from Auto Zone. The clamp was much tighter on the battery post, and I ran it down to the stock grounding location under the power steering reservoir. There is a nut welded to the bottom of the fender and I used a bolt to clamp it down, along with the other ground strap that goes to the engine.

Also got a replacement positive clamp of amazon.

Worked like a charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.