Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Valve cover gasket replacement

32K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  cannothas 
#1 ·
Ok ladies and gents. I need to replace both of my valve cover gaskets. The rock auto box came in so it's go time. It seems like a straight forward but time consuming job. Anything I need need to know to keep the surprises to a minimum?

I will post pics.

#4 ·
Yeah, it needs a new gasket too!
Also while you are under there, check that the waterline hoses are not brittle or leaking. (on the bottom of the plenum)

#5 ·
Nickolae, did you try tighting the screws on the valve cover? I thought mine were leaking too then I read somewhere that the scres that hold them on tend to come loose and cause leaking. I tightened mine down and no more leaking. I was suprised how loose the screws were when I tightened them up.

#6 ·
Nickolae, did you try tighting the screws on the valve cover? I thought mine were leaking too then I read somewhere that the scres that hold them on tend to come loose and cause leaking. I tightened mine down and no more leaking. I was suprised how loose the screws were when I tightened them up.
Thanks Tim for mentioning the obvious. They were seriously loose. Saved me a ton of work so I got a chance to replace the horn I ruined at NXM and change the oil.

Sorry for the false alarm!

#7 ·
The hardest part for me was the two short coolant hoses behind the intake plenum (near the firewall). Ended up cutting them off and replacing them. Should have started with that idea and would have saved an hour.

#10 ·
almost all mine on passenger side were loose i can tell my valve cover gaskets have been replaced (at least the passenger side) because one of the screws on it was a bolt so they must have lost one screw while doing it.(hopefully they did drivers side and intake gaskets) but they were all loose except that bolt lol. and the ones i could get to on drivers side were all a little loose but i think the intake plenum keeps those tight. i have a small oil leak from what appears to be where the oil pan sits near the rear main seal/bell housing area and my mechanic diagnosed it as a rm seal leak but seeing as those screws were loose and i see a small amount of oil around rear of passenger side valve cover im leaning towards those screws being loose. we will see! wish me the best on it

#12 ·
Well, I am in the same boat as you all have been in. Mine just started leaking hard core yesterday. I will try tightening. Is there a specific order they need to be tightened? Thanks for any info, this site hasn't been updated in a year, so hopefully I might get a response. Thanks for all your comments. :)

#13 ·
Well, I am in the same boat as you all have been in. Mine just started leaking hard core yesterday. I will try tightening. Is there a specific order they need to be tightened? Thanks for any info, this site hasn't been updated in a year, so hopefully I might get a response. Thanks for all your comments. :)

Inside to outside. Start at the center of the cam cover and work your way out. This ensures that if it is bowed (all plastic cam covers are lacking in flatness a certain amount), that it will not all be concentrated at the center but instead towards the corners where the best sealing pressures are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
I just tackled this job myself. Dang son, took half a day. Since I was going to be in there I also ordered plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Be sure and vacuum out the pits where the plugs go - mine were full of dead bugs and sand - I cringe at what fell into the cylinder... Anyway, I suppose my valve cover gaskets were factory - 225K miles - and they were actually both cracked and brittle (for rubber). No more leaks from the top-side. Hopefully, no more from the bottom either! (I also had to replace the oil pressure sender, located behind the oil filter, and the upper intake manifold gasket.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.