Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New Member Intro.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Nline6 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All, Been an Xterra owner since.. well about 4 days ago. I picked up this 2000 Xterra,
for about 1000 bucks. Its a 2wd and has 156k on it. Interior was filthy, exterior is real rough, for some reason the fender and drivers side doors have lost the shine, The grill is toast the headlights were yellow, oil was low and thick and coolant was a tad low as well but she runs great minus the annoying tick of the crack in the passengerside exhaust manifold. I have ripped out the interior and started to clean, steam cleaned the motor and the truck. My current fleet of cars include a 1999 BMW 528i sport wagon and a 2001 VW Jetta (wifes car) I wanted to get a project and I think I found one. I wonder how limited I am by the 2wd factor? I think new tires are in order, and I also thought about the PML. I also just got a bunch of parts in for my other cars so my hands are full and I am a happy camper! I have found a good amount of good info on this site so i thought I would sign up and introduce myself. Moar Photos:

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to CX! Looks like you are off to a good start cleaning her up.

#7 ·
welcome and have fun with the project. I suspect you're not too limited by 2 wheel drive. There's some videos here somewheres of one doing some off roading and it's pretty impressive. As you do routine maintanance- enjoy the #6 plug [insert evil laugh]
I know!! I was like where the heck? how the? hmmm. lol Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

#8 ·
Litte more info about myself; My name is Bret, I am 27 and live in Portland Oregon, love anything with an engine, motorcycle rides, anything outdoors.. and yeah.. I am very happy to have a new toy!
Here are my other toys
2006 CBR600RR

Sportwagon

My Mini Off road machine

Why I need an Xterra

The wifes Jetta

I hope this Xterra is good and reliable? I will have to look up the best option to replace the manifold as I dont think going oem is wise due to cracking again? Is a torsion lift bad for the truck? Do Xterras like to roll? Whats the trick to the #6 plug? Is it normal(ish) to get a Evap code when your gas light comes on? How reliable are the Auto transmissions? I got lots of questions as this is all new to me. And yes I will search the forum. I am very mechanically inclined and have alwlays done all my own work. I have been going non stop on the Xterra since I got it.

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome. Looks like you've got a few nice toys! There are How-tos and DIY's on here for most of your question, plus many more, so browse around. As far as reliability...I've had mine for 8 years/130,000 miles and its been nothing but great. Very few minor fixes, and some of them were caused by my own modding lol. Never had any transmission issues. For the pesky #6 plug you'll have to use a couple extensions and a swivel but it's not too bad. As far as the torsion bars, just be sure to maintain at least a 1/2" bump stop gap, and get an alignment based on the specs that are on here somewhere. You can also buy aftermarket UCA's and gain a total of around 3" in the front while maintaining proper alignment. As long as your safe I wouldn't worry about rolling, I've got a 2" body lift and I still feel comfortable about mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Here is some updated pics of the front of the truck. I think it looks way better painted. I am going to continue to work my way around the car repainting all the plastics and probably the tow hitch as well.

Next week is spark plugs and I need to figure out why it feels so wobley above 55 mph. It seems a little loose in the front end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.