Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Can't decide between these 2 x's....

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Johnny wangwang 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I've been looking to buy a xterra for a while now, I've already ruled pretty much every other option, my favorite second being a 4runner but they are just too expensive. Anyhow, Ive boiled it down to 2 xterras and I'm looking for some experienced owners to maybe guide my decision a bit. I've looked at the "what to look for it 1st gen xterras" and i plan to use that while I look at the vehicles. I am going with a dealer as i need to get rid of my current 03 Acura TL-s type love the car have had it for almost 6 years but nothing works on it anymore cd/ac/heat/power steering/needs tires too much money to keep it on the road for its worth. I also go to the mountains often and it's just not a mountain vehicle in anyway. So down to why I can decide.

The first one is a 2002 SE 4wd really clean looking with 145k. It's west coast owned, tons of paperwork, and a load of maintenance just done on it, paper work to go with it, gaskets, belts, fluids. (it sounds like gaskets and belts become an issue on these trucks so the fact all this work is done is appealing). Its got some decent dynapro ATM's on with i'd say 70% tread left. West coast owned it's whole life so it's pretty much rust free. I also like that it's black/black in color. So they want 7k for this one. I think it comes with a limited 1k warranty as well.

The second one a 2003 SE 4wd pretty clean with 105k. Not sure how many owners, not sure on maintenance or paperwork, dealer is less reputable in my opinon (a couple yelp and google searches proved that) stock tires, and I'm not as stoked on the sliver/black color of it. they want 6k for this one.

I still have yet to go drive them but based on what i've gathered so far what do you guys think would be the better option? Thanks in advance! hope i posted in the right place.

Also I'd like to hear what other people like/hate about their 1st gen x's only people ive talked to have said they liked them but they had them years ago with less than 50k on them....I'm more interested in hearing about one's with 100-150k and how they are running. Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ill bite...In my Humble Opinion both of those cars are over priced for the mileage they have. Even if they did a simple tune up and belt change they still are priced way too high.

I own one of these cars. So don't think im bashing them. They are good cars. But reliable...they are not. My definition of reliable is a car that you can drive 30-40k miles without having to do much other then tune up and oil changes. These cars have knock sensor issues, Dizzy issues, Lifter issues, Exhaust manifold issues etc etc. I honestly don't understand how people are getting that much over Bluebook or any other book for these cars with all these issues. It would be different if this were something like a Miata or a 98+ Vette or something that KBB or the other Books Price low but they always sell for more because they are reliable. But im seeing 2wd Xterras with 190K+ miles on them and people are asking $4500+ for them and Im just thinking in my head who is paying this for these cars. Like seriously these are Capable cars. They are. But they get horrible gas mileage. They have a timing belt and they have a good amount of known issues that regularly go bad.

Seriously, I just talked to a guy who has a 2003 Supercharged Model For sale with 130k on it and the car is clean. Hes selling the car for $3300. I don't understand how people are paying 6k plus.

I bought my Car for $700 with 188k on it and the only thing wrong with it is that it needed tires and it had a lifter tick. Put tires on it and did a tune up and the car was running Ok. It also needed a knock sensor come to find out after I ran the codes for a misfire because an injector clip had come off the injector. Well swapped that out after trying t a new Dizzy first and that not being the issue. Now Im pretty sure the timing belt has broken which ill verify tonight once I get it apart. Am I mad about this? No because I paid a fair price for the car (steal if you wanna say that lol) and I already have some good head lined up if the valves are bent.

But the point of all of this is: If I paid 6k+ for one of these cars and had any of this happen Id be PISSED. I see these cars in the $2500 to $4000 range for the mileage you are looking at all day. I wouldn't spend more then that. Cause your gonna wanna make sure that maintenance was done yourself and your also gonna have to fix stuff anyway. This is Just my humble opinion so take it with a grain of salt. These cars are something to tinker with. I wouldn't consider one my Daily unless I had a backup car. To many issues that can/will potentially pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.